Leak Mystery

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrMaturin

Ship's Surgeon
Reaction score
A month ago I was home alone and it was quiet. I heard the dreaded sound. It was emanating from the wall near the water heater and shut-off valve in the garage. I opened up the meter outside and sure enough, it was moving a tenth of a gallon every three minutes. I confirmed it was not from the outside to the shut-off valve. I messed around with everything and couldn't pinpoint the leak.

A plumber came in and showed me that the valve on one of the upstairs toilets had to be replaced as it was constantly filling the tank with water. I replaced it myself and all seemed to be good to go.

Well, I heard the sound again today. After turning off each valve at every water source one by one, the sounded persisted. This included the toilets (starting with the troublesome one), sinks (hot and cold), washer, and refrigerator (which wasn't in use, but I made sure it was tight).

My question is this: if one of the toilets were leaking (and were the sole source of the leak), would turning off the water supplies at the toilets make the leaking sound that I hear near the shut-off valve stop?

Secondly, we have a water filtration system that one of the major purified water firms installed. Would it cause water usage even when it's not serving water?

Is it a reverse osmosis system, by chance? I have seen these malfunction and continuously drain.

I am unable to respond in the affirmative or negative. Are you referring to the water purification equipment or the home water system in general? What indicators are there that I can review to get an answer?

I am referring to the water purification system. The most common of these is installed under the kitchen sink, and supplies purified water to a drinking water faucet by the sink, and also to the icemaker/drinking water dispenser in the refrigerator.

I am referring to the water purification system. The most common of these is installed under the kitchen sink, and supplies purified water to a drinking water faucet by the sink, and also to the icemaker/drinking water dispenser in the refrigerator.

That's the setup.

Turn the supply valve to the water purifier off and see if the meter stops and the sound goes away. Reverse osmosis systems work by passing the water through a very, very fine filter. Then, on occasion, water is flushed across the input side of the filter to wash the impurities off. This water is then routed to the drain. So it is part of the normal operation of the system to occasionally use water even when you are not demanding water from the system. But if it is happening all of the time, then there is a problem with the system that needs to be addressed.

on this same note, reverse osmosis systems Do waste a LOT of water. and to the OP's question.. Yes, if the toilet was the culprit then shutting off the supply to that toilet should stop the meter from spinning but only if the shutoff is able to fully isolate the fixture which In many cases they dont if they are old and worn. \
\

Latest posts

Back