Leak between tank and toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTK

Reaction score
Hi.

I removed my tank last week to paint the bathroom. After replacing it, I get a gush of water between the tank and toilet (outside). The odd part (at least to me) is that it only leaks when I flush it. And, it gushes out.

That would be the gasket, right? I can't imagine it would leak that visibly from the bolt/holes, so it must be leaking around the center hole of the gasket? Did I over-tighten the big plastic nut on the bottom? Or, not tight enough? How tight do the bolts need to be?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Mike

BTW - it's this type of gasket http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdepot/ProductDetail.asp?Product=96709&AffiliateID=GoogleDirectFeed&gclid=CjwKEAjw-vewBRDH1-b52Lig1hkSJACTPfVFsIXLPyih0hknYzMIaE7aT-U6SenEYRkeETMlFwOgCRoCfQnw_wcB

Last edited:
Most likely bolts not tight enough. Be careful tightening them, china cracks easilly.

Thanks for the responses.

I tightened the bolts a little more with little improvement, so I ordered a new gasket from Amazon. I already ran to Lowes and they didn't have it. I'll give that a try in a couple days.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know your problem has been fixed. Stop by anytime....we'll be here!

Sounds like the gasket between tank and bowl, may need to pull the tank again and make sure it's properly sealed on there. Make sure the tank bolts and nice and secured, and level

Latest posts

Back