Leak at joint - Copper replacement 1/2" pipe - Opinion on best way to proceed (pics)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutshellml

Reaction score
I have done some plumbing/soldering work in the house and the below is in the ceiling (basement), it's leaking at one of the joints so I'm going to cut the copper at the RED marks in the photo. Don't need the two valves there any more so can go direct no valves. Concern is it's in the ceiling (hard to work on) and near the main electrical cable coming in. What would you all recommend, any way to avoid soldering?

THANKS in advanceIMG_5574 (002).jpg!

Protect the wires with heat shields.

Be careful and good luck.

I wouldn’t use sharkbites in my home or a customers home but it’s fine for your house if you want to use them. They’re inferior to soldering.
Thanks, i'm aware they are inferior, just tough spot, and wanted to get some opinions. Perfect world I would solder.

As said, the small heat shields are designed for situations such as yours. Way better solution than the sharkbite IMHO.

Thanks, i'm aware they are inferior, just tough spot, and wanted to get some opinions. Perfect world I would solder.

Just go ahead and do what you want, that’s what most people do anyway. They shop forums until they get someone to say “ yeah no problem, sharkbites are great “. They seek validation, not advice. Because of course their situation is different and they know what’s best in their situation. 🤣✌️

I hear it almost everyday, someone knows way more than I do but yet they’re calling me.

...or criticize me and try to get me fired from my volunteer position for telling them I dislike those band aids.

For that kind of thing, it’s much more appropriate to dock your pay. 😁

Back