Laundry Tub Sink - Standing Water Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessa

Reaction score
Hi all, complete novice here and I am completely stumped about an irritating problem.

I have a non-submersible Flotec pump attached to my utility sink that the washer empties into. The pump turns on when the washer empties well enough, and reliably pumps water up to drain out of my basement. But it always leaves a good 8" of standing water in the sink. The valve that is in the pvc line is completely open, and from what I've searched online already I have not come across any way to adjust the water flow/float level for my pump model. It is the FPUS1860A-01. The pump only has to move the water about 1' horizontally and 4' upwards to get it to the main drain line.

Is there any way to get the sink to empty completely every time? I would like to be able to use the sink to wash off stained clothes and for other general use, but the water starts to mildew and get stinky after even just a few days. I've been using a bucket to get most of the water out to scrub it down once a week, but it is a huge pain. I don't want to buy a whole new pricey pump when mine works fine except for its cut-off point.

What can I do?

Can you post a picture? Usually laundry pumps are also wired to a switch so you can put power directly to the motor and pump the sink dry.

I didn't see a switch on anything, not at the outlet or on the pump itself.
Excuse my dirty basement, it's next on the to-do list!

a_zpsbnv6uhbz.jpg

b_zps9bgzour7.jpg

d_zpsbjr2dsre.jpg

I haven't encountered a laundry tub like that before, but it appears to operate like a float switch.

Where it plugs into the wall, unplug the plug on the back and plug that directly into the receptacle. That will put power directly to the motor allowing you to pump the sink dry.

Ah yes John....my bad.

It also appears the check valve is up rather high, everything on that vertical section would flow back into the sink once the pump stops

So if I replace the valve it should drain? Could I move the valve to the horizontal section right by the pump or does it have to be vertical?

Latest posts

Back