Laundry Standpipe Rough In - Curious if this meets code

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinc

Reaction score
So while making some adjustments to my dryer vent and receptacle I found out the original owner didn't install a trap or a vent for the washing machine drain when they built the laundry room.

In an attempt to fix this I've come up with the below rough in.

I'm replacing the old box with one that has the supply in the middle and the standpipe to the side. I'm also raising it on the wall. Were the new box is sitting on the old box will basically be where it ends up.

yZUhOaD.jpg

I've add the vent and the trap. The vertical distance from the trap to the sanitary T is 4" so I believe I meet that part of the code. This is in Ontario so the 1.5" drain is still allowed. The distance from the trap to the top of the standpipe will be > 20" so that also meets the code as far as I know. The real question I have is whether the offset I have (2 45's) between the trap and standpipe (not yet installed) is allowed? I need it to make the standpipe line-up with the new box without having to rework all the copper (as it is I still have to remove the existing copper elbows...). Any comments welcomed. Thanks.

LcTRBPU.jpg

Thanks. I agree putting the offset below the san tee isn't the greatest. What's not visible in the picture is that offset doesn't just move things to the right, it also pushes the entire stack to the rear of the cavity which allows me to squeeze the trap and arm behind the copper.

That said, none of it is glued yet. I could try getting rid of the offset and twisting the san tee a bit to the rear but this will likely require me to add a bend (45 or 22) to the trap arm. Not sure if that's preferrably or will even fit.

Again thanks for the comments.

Hard to tell from the picture if these requirements are met, but UPC code says no standpipe shall be no longer than 30" and not less than 18" in length. Also the trap must be more than 6" and no more than 18" from the floor.

That's OK but I would have made the offset that you have below the san tee above the tee in the vent rather then in the waste.

If he would of done that, I dont think he would of got his 4" trap arm in the wall.

Other then that, it looks good enough. I dont see anything in the CPC about the traps being any height off the floor, i havent ever run into an issue there. The fixture outlet pipe (the pipe going from your washer box to your trap) cannot exceed 1200mm, which is approx. 47". So i think you're good there

Back