Laundry Sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrellp

Reaction score
My laundry sink has a separate half inch pvc pipe under the tap that runs into the sewer line and the faucet sounds like it is constantly running. I am aware that there has to be some water that drains into the pipe to avoid sewer smell from coming up into the house. But the sound has gotten increasingly worse since we purchased the house in July. The tap is fully turned off but there is still a loud sound of running water. What could I do to fix this

20160317_213520.jpg

Last edited:
i like that old faucet, definitely a keeper

is the laundry faucet used at least twice a week ?

if so, you could simply cap the pipe.

it appears it is a trap primer of some sort. to stop sewer smells , they are required on drains that are not frequently used and prone to trap water evaporation

if, not frequently used. add a valve under the sink on the pipe
throttle the flom to a drip.

or. cap as stated before, and add a new trap primer that works when it detects water flow in the line

20160317_213520.jpg

Last edited:
OP said:
The tap is fully turned off but there is still a loud sound of running water. What could I do to fix this?

it appears it is a trap primer of some sort. to stop sewer smells , they are required on drains that are not frequently used and prone to trap water evaporation

or. cap as stated before, and add a new trap primer that works when it detects water flow in the line

frodo-

Is it possible the spigot shut-off valve is leaking and maybe just a washer would fix it... :confused:

could be..never seen that type faucet. would not know inless i could open it

i like the brass look..very retro

take that faucet, throw it in a 5 gallon bucket of water with 1/2 gallon vinegar

for 24 hours. then shine it up replace washers

We do use the sink often. Our cats water dishes are down there so it is used everyday. Because of that do we really need the pipe? I can replace the washers as well and see if that helps.

I am not 100% sure, there is 2 two inch pipes that go into the basement floor and the PVC follow them down into the concrete. But the concrete is poured around the pipes so I am not sure.

yes there is a floor drain, it is a few feet from the sink though

Back