large volume intermittent presumed toilet leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahoeGal

Reaction score
My tenant reported that for the second time (the first having been about 6 months ago) fresh water leaked in large volume from an upstairs bathroom through the floor in the ceiling below, then through a penetration in the garage ceiling into the garage. She promises that her kids did not, say, let the tub or sink overflow and is sure it has to do with the toilet. Nobody saw this happen. The just found water in the garage and the bathroom floor wet. I don't think the toilet was even running. I am mystified!!!

Without seeing it happening, any idea of what to look for or to test? There is no ongoing sign of a drain being plugged and it seemed to have been fresh water not sewage that leaked. The bathroom has gotten a lot of use without problems between these two events and since the last one a week or so ago.

Thank you for any advice!

Pictures of everything will help.

Also a diagram of fixtures and locations would be good.

Sounds like the toilet probably overflowed.

Kids often use two miles of TP.

They will cause a flood and deny forever.

Or the shower leaked, shower doors not closed properly, sliding doors in wrong position, or shower curtain not pressed tight against wet tile.

Is this a condo?i

Is there anyone else above her?

Leak could also be from adjacent unit.

Put a wifi water leak sensor behind the toilet and near the shower, put yourself on the list of people to notify, on the app.

My tenant reported that for the second time (the first having been about 6 months ago) fresh water leaked in large volume from an upstairs bathroom through the floor in the ceiling below, then through a penetration in the garage ceiling into the garage. She promises that her kids did not, say, let the tub or sink overflow and is sure it has to do with the toilet. Nobody saw this happen. The just found water in the garage and the bathroom floor wet. I don't think the toilet was even running. I am mystified!!!

Without seeing it happening, any idea of what to look for or to test? There is no ongoing sign of a drain being plugged and it seemed to have been fresh water not sewage that leaked. The bathroom has gotten a lot of use without problems between these two events and since the last one a week or so ago.

Thank you for any advice!
Go up and test the fixtures have another person below test one fixture at a time
Look at the tile ,grout, is the tub fiberglass check for cracks

Latest posts

Back