LA pattern P Trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnyc

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a leak on the elbow that connected to the P Trap pipe. I want to replace that elbow(hope is the right term). Do I need buy that big slip ring kit 2.5" to 1.5"?
I hope I make sense... I'm attaching a image for you guys to see. All appreciated for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpg
    IMG_5678.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 13
What is the source of the leak?
Is the metal rotted out?

If not, you might just need a new rubber washer under that metal nut.

Also, replace that missing handle on the hot supply valve.

If you get a fast leak, you will want to be able to turn off that valve in a hurry.

Swap over the one from the valve underneath, which I assume used to feed a dishwasher?

Or just buy a new valve and steal the handle off of it, and the screw.

What is the source of the leak?
Is the metal rotted out?

If not, you might just need a new rubber washer under that metal nut.

Yes is leaking right on the neck area. I circled with RED circle so peoples know what Im talking.
The thing is I can pull it out with out using any tools. what size of rubber washer i need for the 2.5" big flange? Thanks and God Bless

Also, replace that missing handle on the hot supply valve.

If you get a fast leak, you will want to be able to turn off that valve in a hurry.

Swap over the one from the valve underneath, which I assume used to feed a dishwasher?

Or just buy a new valve and steal the handle off of it, and the screw.

Yea I need another valve handle. Yup those goes to the dish washer.

Not sure of size, and you might actually need a tapered plastic slip joint reducing washer.

Pros on here can probably advise.

You could unscrew the nut to remove and measure what is there now, or just take that washer to the store.

But first, just try tightening the big nut with a channel lock type of wrench or pipe wrench.

Hold the piping stable with your other hand, so you don’t twist everything apart.

Not sure of size, and you might actually need a tapered plastic slip joint reducing washer.

Pros on here can probably advise.

You could unscrew the nut to remove and measure what is there now, or just take that washer to the store.

But first, just try tightening the big nut with a channel lock type of wrench or pipe wrench.

Hold the piping stable with your other hand, so you don’t twist everything apart.

Im not home now.. I guess I ask some one at HD later.
That nut is huge, I better get a pipe wrench at HD at the same time then. I will report back later.

I prefer to use large channel locks.

Much lighter weight to use one handed, better precise grab, easier to fit in that tight space.

Measure the width of the nut.

A 12 inch pliers should just fit, but you might need a 16 inch.

Check out the maximum jaw capacity in the store.

You will use these pliers all over the house over the years for lots of projects.
12 in. Tongue and Groove Pliers

https://www.homedepot.com/p/100002119

You need to get rid of the 90 on the trap and the 90 on the tail piece. Get a tail piece extension. This set up is all kinds of wrong.

You need to get rid of the 90 on the trap and the 90 on the tail piece. Get a tail piece extension. This set up is all kinds of wrong.
I agree, except that we don’t know if the trap will swing over and line right up with the tailpiece extension.

And there is no adjustment in or out from the wall.

So goofy as it is, it apparently works now, besides a leaky connection.

I agree, except that we don’t know if the trap will swing over and line right up with the tailpiece extension.

And there is no adjustment in or out from the wall.

So goofy as it is, it apparently works now, besides a leaky connection.
It looks like that trap is "fernco'd" onto pvc. Get rid of it and extend the new trap out.

I don't see why you couldn't if you are going to use that plastic tubular trap. Just make sure it is an 1-1/2" one.

Latest posts

Back