Kohler Veil wall-mount toilet shut off requirement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 27502

Reaction score
Hi I'm adding a bathroom to 2nd floor of a single family house in NJ. I'm installing a Kohler Veil wall-mount toilet and I'm stuck on what the code requirement is for a water shutoff to the new toilet. Kohler makes their bathroom walls look perfectly tiled (2nd photo), and there's also no mention of the water line connection in the install specs either. Tub and vanity will have their own shutoffs, but not sure if the toilet is required to have one next to the toilet, or if it's ok if the line is isolated with a shut off down in the basement? Adding a cheezy access panel for an in-wall a shutoff in the tile isn't exactly ideal, but I'll do it if I have to. I can't find any visuals or diagrams of how to run this online. Thanks for any advice or pictures!

Attachments

• 2 Bath 2 toilet rough 2021-11.jpg
    2 Bath 2 toilet rough 2021-11.jpg
    812.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Kohler Veil ad.JPG
    Kohler Veil ad.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 13
thanks twowaxhack. Any service (besides a water shutoff) would mean taking the wonderboard and marble tile down to access the carriage itself, so my question is; is it ok (code) to have a dedicated water shutoff down in the basement to the toilet, or does a shutoff need to be within a certain distance to the fixture in a single family?

So there are no parts to service on that toilet that require the water be turned off ?

Ask your inspector where he wants the stop valve installed.

What I would do is have the valve under the vanity.

The 1/2” water line that supplies your toilet, stub it out under the vanity and cap it.

Next to that water line install an individual 1/2” PEX line which will travel from the vanity to your toilet. ***You will need a test gauge on this line as well for your rough inspection since it will not be connected to your cold water system, yet.***

Leave enough space between the lines so you can install a valve after the vanity is set.

Once the vanity is set, install a valve that connects your toilet to the cold water supply.

Then make a really fancy valve handle label that displays “shitter”

I use this method to install valves and carbonated backflow devices under break room sinks so the 1022 can discharge into a hub drain.
7DE2D297-B4F9-4FF0-9172-50DCCA0D6D1D.jpeg00480A26-6568-45B1-8F6F-1663B24C891C.jpeg

thanks, but there's no room in vanity framing (vent and gfi wiring are in the way) -
is there a code specification for where the toilet shutoff needs to be?
such as max distance from toilet? is it required in the same room?
Kitchen below is currently wide open, so if basement isn't allowed (still curious to know if this is acceptable since it's definitely the easiest) could I put it in kitchen sink base cabinet directly below and label it?

Around here (WI), it's 24" max for a supply connection off a fixture (so, from a shut off, to the fixture). Your code may vary, but I dunno that other places are all that different.

The shutoff for any carrier/wall WC is built in, within the plastic cavity. Then the works connect via a no-burst flex.
I refuse to work on the 2 x 4 wall models, too tight.

breplum, This was a 'gift' and already framed in, so no going back at this point. I'm trying to figure out best feasible location for shutoff within code. I posted a photo of the rough-in - the view is head on to the vanity with toilet to the right, which means a shutoff sticking out left of toilet will be very visible. Not sure if you mean the shutoff is concealed in the wall? or behind an [ugly] access panel? or is it somehow accessible after tile from behind the push button, which is not clear to me? I'm narrowing it down to either re-routing it from inside the vanity (very challenging given the GFI and medicine cabinet) or moving it to the right of the toilet so it won't be immediately visible. But I'm still stuck on how a "no burst flex" (i'm assuming you mean a braided typical inlet line?) which is typically outside the wall, goes from a shutoff valve to the inlet, which is concealed behind tile. It's maddening there's so little available online. any help would be appreciated. thanks

The shutoff in inside the cavity box.
There will be a trim "flush actuator plate"
This plate is removable and how service is done and inside is the shutoff.
I am pretty sure that the water supply connection is there on the top of your unit...inside then, is where the shut-off is already in place.
No other shutoff is needed. Inside is where it is. Carefully remove the plastic plaster shield and you will see it.
You have to also decide on your trim options
1639507107384.png

thank you so much breplum, I saw Gerber has a straight forward shutoff behind the actuator and even have a special insert part for it, but I called Kohler and they basically said they have nothing to do with how the water gets to the inlet (not helpful), which is at top left of tank on the veil. Do you think it's somehow hidden behind the sub-plate shown in the rough in photo? If it's built in then it seems Kohler rep doesn't know that, but that would be great news.
maybe all the little diagrams on there (which are making me sea-sick panic) are saying something I just can't read?
Otherwise I'm resigned to getting this decent looking concealed shutoff - sticking out through the tile Weirun Brass 1/2-Inch IPS or G1/2 Concealed Water Shower Home Plumbing Shut Off Flow Control Valve Straight Replacement Part with Cross Handle 1 Pcs, Chrome - - Amazon.com

Attachments

• actuator.jpg
    actuator.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 4
thank you so much breplum, I saw Gerber has a straight forward shutoff behind the actuator and even have a special insert part for it, but I called Kohler and they basically said they have nothing to do with how the water gets to the inlet (not helpful), which is at top left of tank on the veil. Do you think it's somehow hidden behind the sub-plate shown in the rough in photo? If it's built in then it seems Kohler rep doesn't know that, but that would be great news.
maybe all the little diagrams on there (which are making me sea-sick panic) are saying something I just can't read?
Otherwise I'm resigned to getting this decent looking concealed shutoff - sticking out through the tile Weirun Brass 1/2-Inch IPS or G1/2 Concealed Water Shower Home Plumbing Shut Off Flow Control Valve Straight Replacement Part with Cross Handle 1 Pcs, Chrome - - Amazon.com

Later that same day - so this is the built-in shut-off?! If so now I'm really embarrassed lol

Attachments

• 16395936218374905938936591397031.jpg
    16395936218374905938936591397031.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back