Kohler shower faceplate problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry29

Reaction score
My Kohler shower faucet is leaking. It is approximately ten years old and was installed before I purchased the house and I do not have any documentation for it.

I have seen plenty of info on how to replace the cartridge but, oddly, very little about the faceplate. I am pretty sure that replacing the cartridge is what I need to do to stop the leak. If not, please correct me. A video on youtube of a faucet very similar to mine was of little help because after the handle came off the parts were different and the faceplate removal didn't match.

I can't get past the faceplate. The handle came off easily enough but the center circular plastic piece and the chrome outer piece of the faceplate will not come off. I have tried to rotate the inner piece but it won't budge. The outer piece will rock a bit back and forth but won't give. There is a notch in the bottom of the chrome piece but nothing on the inner beige plastic piece.

I am certainly willing to give an extra push or twist to a part but definitely do not want to break anything.

Also, if it is of any bearing, the hot/cold mix is working well. The leak also is both hot/cold water. I would say my skill level is basic/moderate. I have installed hot water heaters, gas lines, many kitchen & bath sinks and cabinets, toilets, etc. But honestly plumbing frustrates me more than any other project. So...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

(Pictures included)

IMG_20110126_103247.jpg

IMG_20110126_103331.jpg

IMG_20110126_103343.jpg

IMG_20110126_103355.jpg

Finally found something to fit between plastic and chrome pieces. Started sliding it all the way around and it suddenly popped off. I thought I had broken it. Turns out the installer had broken the pins that hold it in place and so decided to secure it with construction adhesive. He freakin' glued it on! Oh, well.

Just wanted to let you know the outcome and to thank you for the forum. It has helped me before and I likely will return again.

Hi i have the same problem as you. I can't open the faceplate. Did you take out the black piece before the plate? Please help.

Last edited:
Twist the white cover counter clockwise to unlock cover from trim plate, after removing white cover there should be two screws holding the chrome trim plate in place. I think that is a kohler kt12021

Latest posts

Back