Kohler Pompton series leaking water into the bowl

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyC

Reaction score
Not proud to say so but I have a Kohler Pompton series toilet w/ the "New Style" valve body (fwiw). Some time back, I noticed water leaking into the bowl. The back of the bowl had the tiniest amount of flow coming in from the top. So, I went to the specialty supply house (can't get Kohler parts at HD or Lowes or Ace TV) and bought a new flapper. I replaced it and still, the micro-leak continued.

So, thinking the float valve wasn't stopping the water flow, I bought a valve rebuild kit from an on-line outfit and carefully rebuilt the valve itself. I put it all back together and still the %$@*^! leak continues.

It turns out that there's a cast hole between the tank and the bowl up under the back rim. It appears that water is coming from back to front through that hole - as though the water level keeps on rising in the tank (ever so slowly, mind you).

Does anyone have any experience w/ this particular toilet series (Pompton), and in particular w/ that leak syndrome? I'm wondering where else could be the source of this leak. :mad:

I have had repeted problems with kohler products lately and have recentlly blacklisted them and will not be installing them anymore due to horibble customer service and expensive and crappy products. this is my experiences.

Could be the flush valve gasket between the flush valve and tank is leaking. Happens with all types of one piece toilets. Calling Kohler's customer service may help if you need the specific part number and a diagram for the repair. The parts from Kohler usually have instructions included, but ask to be sure.
Phone: 1-800-4KOHLER(1-800-456-4537)
Hours: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Central Time) Monday through Friday

Thanks for good comments.

Honestly, since my initial post, I had this this thought:

I'll go ahead and offer a hint as to what I think the leak source really is. There must be a site where the end of the filler tube, which passes up through a 1" hole ("cylinder") in the valve body, connects to the bottom of the valve mechanism itself. This is the only other conceivable place for water to be bypassing the valve and running into the bowl (via the tank).

I believe this is line w/ Caduceus' comment.

Liquid's comment is very intersting. And here I thought Kohler was the Lexus of plumbing fixtures! :)

Actually, roe many years, I've preferred more garden-variety fixtures for which I could simply go to HD/Lowes/Ace TV for parts. This is what I meant when I wrote:

Not proud to say so but I have a Kohler ...

In this sense, Liquid's comment is well taken. Maybe the best thing to do is cut my losses and jettison the Pompton in favor of a real toilet. Can I get an Amen?

I've just seen a lot of 1 piece toilets that leak from the flush valve gasket. Kohler, AS and others.Also, IMO, every toilet manufacturer is hit or miss. Some are just more 'hit' sometimes. I have found several Toto toilets, with a particular builder that prefers them, to have defects in the casting and mechanics. So, if you decide to get rid of it remember that you don't have to go super-expensive for a good toilet but if you go cheap then you got what you paid for.
Maybe I'm just sentimental, but I would prefer to save a good toilet that is acting up instead of 86ing it unless it is absolutely necessary.

Point well taken, Caduceus. And since the leak I'm describing is oh-so tiny, I think I can live w/ it. I do think the take-away lesson here is: DON'T BUY KOHLER !!

Okay. I gotta clear this up. Not aggressively, Tommy, but diplomatically because other members or visitors may use this thread for information to solve a problem and I feel it is responsible to provide fair information where it is warranted.
My experiences with Kohler, American Standard, Delta/Brizo, Moen, Blanco, Franze, Grohe....etc. have been more than 90% satisfactory. I have found discontinued parts, repair manuals, warranty parts and even some extra bells and whistles when dealing with the customer service departments. They are even willing to spend 30 minutes on the phone talking you through a difficult repair at tech support. This is how we learn about our product.
A few of the guidelines that I follow that help me to receive satisfaction are as follows:
1. Remember that all things made by man are subject to his fallibility. Your item/product was made by man. The machines that made the item/product were also made by man. Therefore they are fallible.
2. The quality assurance department is supervised by man who also oversees other men. They, too, are fallible.
3. The person who answered the phone at customer service is a human who has the same joys, stresses, physical and mental pains and needs as any other human may have. Also, they are fallible.
4. You can attract more bees with honey than you can with vinegar.
5. Share who you are and ask who they are. Use their name when addressing them and don't forget a "please" and "thank you" peppered into the conversation.
6. Treat them with dignity and don't yell if you become frustrated. Politely ask if there is somebody else more familiar with your need and thank them for their time. You will no longer be perceived as "Angry Customer #11472".
I could probably go on, but I won't. I still get some SWAG every now and again from the manufacturers...little stuff. And maybe when they pull up my name in the databases it says " nice guy..not a d*ck. Treat him good."
That's okay with me, because it gets the job done and (hopefully) the customer is happy, too.

If you read my post, and this thread, carefully, you will see that I made no comment or assumption or innuendo as to human fallibility. And I'm sure a lot of people have had good experiences w/ Kohler products. What I did say is that Kohler, like the Lexus automobile maker, is rather proud of its products and its parts, as reflected in their exorbitant prices. To offer just one example, why should one pay $12 for a tank flapper - and be forced to go to supply house or online vendor to get it! - when a $3 one that fits a garden-variety toilet works just fine? And you get it at Home Depot.

That was my point.

I also have a Kohler Pompton leaking water into the bowl. It first started about 12 years ago and I was able to fix it myself with (expensive) replacement parts from Kohler. It started again last year and I ordered the same parts, but this time it didn't fix it. I'd like to replace the whole flushing system, but genuine Kohler replacement is insanely expensive ($250+) and the standard flush replacement companies (Korky, Fluidmaster) don't support this model toilet. Are there any other options for replacing the flushing mechanism in this thing without paying the cost of a new toilet?

In the mean time I have tied a piece of string around the float ball stem and I pull on it after flushing is complete to stop the water flow. That way at least I don't have to remove the cover. :)

trash the kohler and get a toto. i refuse to buy kohler, american standard, delta. toto is the best on the market in my opinion. been installing them for a long time and have never once been called back on one for parts or for clogging issues. stay away from home depot there products are junk. i dont think anyone is singling anyone out we are all here to help and recommend solutions to people. everyone has a certain product they like and dont like. i perfer toto

Back