Kohler Aerator question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4gnum99

Reaction score
Hey guys how’s it going. I bought a house that has some older kohler fixtures. My
guess is mid 90s, kohler said there should be a tag on the cold water line to show a model but I can’t find it.

anyway my question is two parts. A) does anyone know how to remove a cache (hidden)aerator? Is it left hand thread? I have the little plastic tool but it’s either frozen on there or so old it’s just crumbling.
And B) the water pressure I had on this sink was insane. And I love it. The screen fell off the aerator somehow when I was cleaning it and went down the drain (lol). I don’t even know if I can buy an equivalent replacement.

Attachments

• 2C818482-012A-4483-B8B7-78FB886D50F3.jpeg
    2C818482-012A-4483-B8B7-78FB886D50F3.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 5AA7980F-B55A-4796-B899-AEFBDC0FFE33.jpeg
    5AA7980F-B55A-4796-B899-AEFBDC0FFE33.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
If you have insane pressure, likely your entire house pressure is too high.
That is what pressure reducing valves are for, so check your pressure at a hose bibb. (ask someone you know?)
No aerator uses reverse threads, so normal unscrewing is the rule (counterclockwise).

If you have insane pressure, likely your entire house pressure is too high.
That is what pressure reducing valves are for, so check your pressure at a hose bibb. (ask someone you know?)
No aerator uses reverse threads, so normal unscrewing is the rule (counterclockwise).
Thank you for your reply. If I may add some more recent photos. I don’t want to damage it any further and not be able to get it out. I was turning counter clockwise and it’s on so tight pieces of the plastic came off. Also, the water company tested my houses PSI and he said it’s standard. If you see in the photo it looks like the aerator comes to a pointy needle. The replacement kohler part is 1.2 GPM and looks nothing like this. Do you know what I have in there now ?

Attachments

• B57F0858-D1E7-4306-B99C-DA561842D059.jpeg
    B57F0858-D1E7-4306-B99C-DA561842D059.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • EFA3BE4E-5167-4C40-A582-2952190ED57C.jpeg
    EFA3BE4E-5167-4C40-A582-2952190ED57C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
That tool looks more like a Delta tool and from the photo of the aerator, not sure that it matches what you have on that. Good pictures, btw!
Not familiar with that faucet model. Maybe pull up some old spec sheet to see what tool it is supposed to have, though, it may be obsolete (just don't know). Kohler K-310 Finial series. One of their prettiest IMHO.

Unscrew.jpg

(A) Looks like a recess
(B) Looks like a bump outward

If you can't find the right tool, make one
Have a micrometer (?) [harbor freight: around $3]
or you're good with a ruler, then get the diameter
of the opening. Knowing that, you may be able
to make a tool from some plastic pipe?, that will
unscrew that gizmo;
Bump-out would be a notch,
Recess would be double cut for a notch, but just
bend pipe outward to give yourself a bump-out.

Last edited:
View attachment 25300

(A) Looks like a recess
(B) Looks like a bump outward

If you can't find the right tool, make one
Have a micrometer (?) [harbor freight: around $3]
or you're good with a ruler, then get the diameter
of the opening. Knowing that, you may be able
to make a tool from some plastic pipe?, that will
unscrew that gizmo;
Bump-out would be a notch,
Recess would be double cut for a notch, but just
bend pipe outward to give yourself a bump-out.

It does look a recess, doesn’t it ? Actually that was me breaking pieces of it off. LOL. look back at that first photo. Ugh. Thank you all for your help. I’m gonna keep trying

That tool looks more like a Delta tool and from the photo of the aerator, not sure that it matches what you have on that. Good pictures, btw!
Not familiar with that faucet model. Maybe pull up some old spec sheet to see what tool it is supposed to have, though, it may be obsolete (just don't know). Kohler K-310 Finial series. One of their prettiest IMHO.
Last question for you. Do you know the style of aerator that is from my photo? It looks pointy ... the newer ones don’t look like this ... I wonder if it’s possible to buy. Also , the tool came from a kohler replacement aerator package. Maybe just a different kohler tool

Latest posts

Back