Knocking sound only in one faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Betsy

Reaction score
Hello, we have 3 sinks in our home and 2 tubs. There is an annoying knocking sound that only happens in one tub, and doesn't ever happen in any of the sinks or the other tub. And adding to the mystery, it only knocks when water is coming out of the faucet (there is no showerhead); there is no knocking at all when water comes out of the handheld sprayer. We have a well and pump, have lived here 15 years, and this problem just started last year. And now it's getting worse and quite loud. If I divert the water to the handheld sprayer, the knocking stops immediately, and it begins again the second I divert the water back to the faucet. Does anyone have any idea what the issue is? Thanks so much for any help!!

Geofd has a very good theory.

Does the sprayer attach directly to the tub spout?

Try just changing the tub spout.

Also, the tub valve or pipes might have come loose from poorly installed blocking or clamps behind the tub wall.

Is there an access panel behind the valve, to observe the area while knocking is happening?
Or can you cut a panel to look back there?

A panel would help for future repairs or upgrades also.

its possible that there is loose washer on your diverter
Sorry for the delay in responding. Additional information that my husband said to add: This is not a standard tub faucet set; it's a two-handle kitchen sink faucet set with a kitchen sink sprayer. This was installed about five years ago, but the knocking only began last year.

Is it a 2 handle tub faucet??
Sorry for the delay in responding. Additional information that my husband said to add: This is not a standard tub faucet set; it's a two-handle kitchen sink faucet set with a kitchen sink sprayer. This was installed about five years ago, but the knocking only began last year.

Geofd has a very good theory.

Does the sprayer attach directly to the tub spout?

Try just changing the tub spout.

Also, the tub valve or pipes might have come loose from poorly installed blocking or clamps behind the tub wall.

Is there an access panel behind the valve, to observe the area while knocking is happening?
Or can you cut a panel to look back there?

A panel would help for future repairs or upgrades also.
Sorry for the delay in responding. Additional information that my husband said to add: This is not a standard tub faucet set; it's a two-handle kitchen sink faucet set with a kitchen sink sprayer. This was installed about five years ago, but the knocking only began last year. We removed the access panel, and one of the pipes shakes, but we can't see any problem.

Same theory applies, it’s probably the diverter in the kitchen faucet

Thanks so much to everyone, but my husband solved the problem. He just replaced the whole faucet set and sprayer, and that fixed it. Wish we had done that a year ago!!!

Latest posts

Back