Kitchen water supply line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenkins

Reaction score
So for some reason I have two cold water lines feeding my kitchen. Is this normal? Also because of this the shutoff I have in the garage at the soft water unit works for the whole house except the kitchen. I have added a photo to this thread. What are my options?

Attachments

• 338176A8-39FA-4259-8CFB-01E62C6A17E7.jpeg
    338176A8-39FA-4259-8CFB-01E62C6A17E7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
What are your options for doing what?

What is that picture of, what are you trying to show?

Start over, so far you are making no sense in what you are trying to actually fix or accomplish, in my opinion.

Those two pipes with the blue sleeves are for the kitchen sink and ice maker most likely. The water comes up in one pipe and tees to feed the other fixture. They are piped separately from the softener so you are not cooking with or drinking soft water.

So are the blue sleeves cold, and the red sleeve is hot?

Meanwhile, you could add some shutoffs right there, once you figure out which of the blue lines is incoming and which are outgoing.

But first, tell your story again, from the beginning, with details.

Thank you Rickyman. I am assuming this is normal. as for the ice maker, there was a separate line coming from the shutoff at the faucet routing to the ice maker. I am just trying to troubleshoot before I move forward

You are rambling and not answering direct questions, and not carefully reading our posts.

So goodbye from me.

The way I see this is, there are 2 cold water feeds coming up from below to feed the kitchen.

I would assume that one feed comes from after the softener and the other before the softener.

Not sure why but they have the ability to get non-softened water to only the kitchen when softener not being used for some reason. But from the description, it sounds like both feeds are typically open from their source, since he still gets water to the kitchen when the softener valve is shut off.

The OP(Jenkins) should look for a take-off, for that 2nd cold water line, upstream of the softener.

Last edited:
That is it exactly. I guess my question now would be, do I need both or should I just cap one off?

If that is, in fact the case, why cap it off?
Just shut the valve controlling the feed from the non-softened water.

I think that would be the line for the whole house and if it’s not, I don’t know where it’s coming from. I am going to do some testing tomorrow to try and figure it out. I appreciate your thoughts.

I think that would be the line for the whole house and if it’s not, I don’t know where it’s coming from. I am going to do some testing tomorrow to try and figure it out. I appreciate your thoughts.
If you have a BRANCH line coming off before the softener, with a shutoff valve on it, it likely isn't for the whole house since the valve AT the softener shuts down the whole house (except for the kitchen sink).

Yeah, do some testing and let use know what you find out.

If it is a slab do not cap anything. They pull the underground water supply like that so they dont have joints under ground. Imagine one side feeds and then continues to feed another fixture, like some electrical runs between boxes. Power in and power out.

@CT18...That makes good sense but how do you explain the OP's statement, "...the shutoff I have in the garage at the soft water unit works for the whole house except the kitchen."

Also, to the OP(Jenkins), it wouldn't make any sense to cap anything off when you have no clue as to what's going on.

Okay so, one hot and cold run towards the front of the house, the other runs to the backyard (possibly feeding the outside faucet?). The only shutoff I found is at the street. No other shutoffs around the house (I find that odd). Anyway I am not going to permanently cap anything off just trying to make sense of the situation.

Not sure what pipes you are talking about when you say, "one hot and cold run towards the front of the house, the other runs to the backyard (possibly feeding the outside faucet?)".

As you say, it does sound odd that there are no other shut shutoffs.

Are these 2 lines going to the kitchen as you originally posted? Or did I assume wrong?
To Kitchen.jpg

Last edited:
@Diehard that would bb because my picture did not post. Let’s try this again.

Attachments

• 553AD187-8A65-482D-8489-18CBFF0BE763.jpeg
    553AD187-8A65-482D-8489-18CBFF0BE763.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
After a long search of the house, there is not a shut off at the house. I had to shut it off at the street.

Latest posts

Back