Kitchen Sink to Basement Bath Waste & Vent

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you can have a 1.5" branch vent for the sink and then tie in to the 2".
So long as the 90s are above the flood level, they should be ok.

I'm glad you replaced the tees with wyes. I was about to say something and then saw that you fixed it.

In this image:
attachment.php

I'm curious as to why you have the wye for the blue line so far to the left. Wouldn't it be simpler to bump that wye over to the right of the red line?

Disclaimer: It's possible that I missed some discussion on why it is over there instead of closer to it's origin.
Edit: I see that Frodo diagrammed it crossing over, but I'm not sure I understand why. I'm still learning about this stuff. (is it because the trap arms wouldn't have enough developed length the straight way?) If trap arm is a consideration, then maybe stuff could be slightly staggered to the left to compensate?

wrench187plumbingsuggestion.png

Last edited:
No prob - thanks for the input. Regarding the Wye for the kitchen sink waste - it's my understanding I needed the waste connection downstream of the WC vent as to not pull any air / vacuum on the kitchen waste line when the toilet is flushed.

It's still opened up but I'd hate to have to pull things apart and re-do. But I guess that's better than having it backfilled and patched with conc.

You pro plumbers have a hell of job - and now I understand your hourly rates - much respect!

No prob - thanks for the input. Regarding the Wye for the kitchen sink waste - it's my understanding I needed the waste connection downstream of the WC vent as to not pull any air / vacuum on the kitchen waste line when the toilet is flushed.

It's still opened up but I'd hate to have to pull things apart and re-do. But I guess that's better than having it backfilled and patched with conc.

You pro plumbers have a hell of job - and now I understand your hourly rates - much respect!

Ohhhh! Ok. That makes sense. I'm still trying to learn about how to vent the WC properly.

I'm still learning myself -
basically starting left to right on the main 3" branch:
2" waste for shower
2" vent for shower
2" waste for kitchen sink above
3" WC waste

2" waste for kitchen sink and shower vent go up thru 1st floor, then to the VTR (vent thru roof)

These lines have been tested with a garden hose, full blast and searching for leaks - none found so far.

Now I have the task of running 2" lines past the rim joist at first floor and jogging them over slightly from the exterior to the interior furring wall - going to be very tight!

Taking frodo's advice - going to add a cleanout above the kitchen waste at the first floor - no other way to gain access if a clog develops for that line.

I'll post pictures of the first floor install once completed - hopefully this weekend.

Finally have the rough in for kitchen sink and basement bathroom wrapped up. Drilling through the rim joist wasn't too bad. Took the advice of Frodo and drilled into the rim joist a bit so I could get a couple fittings through. Here's a couple pics.

Thanks all for the guidance. I'll be signing up for a year's subscription

20160911_194012.jpg

20160916_185404.jpg

Back