Kitchen sink rough in

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeddoe

Reaction score
Let’s see if I can NOT overdo this like I did my Rube Goldberg vent system. I just want to run water up to my sink. That’s all.
What I’m overthinking is whether I bring the lines directly up from the floor or go behind the wall and stub out to a stop.

I don’t like coming up through the floor because it messes with the feng shui for placement of random kitchen crap under the sink.

I think wall mounted stops are cleaner but my plumbing consultant (Google) isn’t being helpful probably because I don’t know how to ask the right question.

I’m installing pex

Come up in the wall and stub out. I usually install a 2x4 or 2x6 to strap my pipe to.

You can install a tee in the wall if you need two stub outs of either hot or cold or both for a cleaner look.

Thanks two

Only one stub out each, though I suppose I could have a second for cold to go to the dishwasher?
(dishwasher is a fancy thing for us...we've had a manual dishwasher for the last 25 years)

So now is where I overthink it because it seems there are many options:

Do I use a bend support and stub out the pex?
Do I use an elbow with a copper stub out?
Do I use a multi-turn or 1/4 turn stop?
What size do I use for the out on the stop (1/4" or 3/8")? There are stops with two outs which I could use on the cold side for the dishwasher, I think?
One thing for sure, I want to make sure the stops are easy to turn. Too many times I've tried to turn off stops and they were nearly impossible to turn without pliers.

I use a pex 90 to turn out of the wall and stub out 6” with pex pipe.

I stub out for each valve.

Dishwasher gets hot water.

I like to stub out at around 18” off the floor.

The Brasscraft KT series stop valves are top tier quality. That said they’re not repairable if it does leak....

I use regular multi turn stops that crimp onto pex made by Brasscraft. I replace the washer with a quality washer and use silicone grease to lubricate the packing then snug it up.

Mine are 20 yrs old and work fine.

Listen, everyone has an opinion. I’ve been doing this a long time and I have my ways and my reasons. It may not be popular.....

Stop size is 1/2” crimp x 3/8” od compression angle stop.

I use copper crimp rings....

Back