Kitchen sink plumbing help with AAV valve.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gio23

Reaction score
I recently bought a house that didn’t have a kitchen sink. Long story short, bought the house from an investor while they were in the middle of remodeling it.

Anyway, I bought a new farmhouse style sink that is deeper and it hits the AAV valve in the picture so I need to remove it. Can someone help me out and tell me the best way to plumb my new sink?

For some reason I have 2 drains and I don’t know why. I was thinking about just eliminating the top drain and capping it. Then removing the bottom drain and adding a new AAV valve with the p trap. Is it okay to do it like this? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance!

035FCA8C-1720-4BD5-AD57-2C0DD2D9859F.jpg

36A52CE9-994A-4218-9735-E86DD9242C5E.jpg

I'm not sure why the would do this what you can do
is use what they call a "ram bit" it's a PVC drill bit that will
drill the PVC pipe out of the fitting and then you can look inside
the pipe to see there is a Ty in the wall for a vent then you can
repipe the bottom drain could have been for a dish washer
drain never seen it done like that just use that bit to get the pipe/fitting
close to the pipi g close to the wall then repipe

I'm not sure why the would do this what you can do
is use what they call a "ram bit" it's a PVC drill bit that will
drill the PVC pipe out of the fitting and then you can look inside
the pipe to see there is a Ty in the wall for a vent then you can
repipe the bottom drain could have been for a dish washer
drain never seen it done like that just use that bit to get the pipe/fitting
close to the pipi g close to the wall then repipe

Hi Geofd, thanks for the help. There’s no vent behind the wall, I think that’s why it has an AAV valve. I can see everything in the wall from the top because it’s about a 3 foot wall that was cut to the height of the new lower cabinets. (It will be covered by the new counter tops after the cabinets are complete.)

Would I run into any problems if I remove the top drain and use the bottom drain with an AAV? I don’t know if I have any other choice because the current AAV valve is too high for the new sink.

Thanks again for the help.

I would cap off the top one and use the bottom one with
the vent set up as long as piping ion the wall is at least
1 1/2 use a real PVC trap using that bit you could get both
peices of pipe very close to the wall for afresh start

I would cap off the top one and use the bottom one with
the vent set up as long as piping ion the wall is at least
1 1/2 use a real PVC trap using that bit you could get both
peices of pipe very close to the wall for afresh start

Ok thanks for the help. I think I’m going to make it simple and just use the bottom pipe.

Just to confirm, you will still use the AAV, correct?

Yes, I’m going buy a new one and add it to the bottom pipe. Just going to cap and eliminate the top setup. Is okay to do it this way?

Ok thanks again for the advice. I’ll try to post a pic when it’s complete to see if I did it right.

Finally had the cabinets installed and now I’m getting around to installing the sink. Here’s a picture of what I’m going to do with the plumbing. Let me know if this is okay or if I should change anything. Thanks again for the help.

C332ABA9-80A1-45D4-8B60-48E4FB5DA512.jpg

80603F97-3446-42FB-B51A-925BB7EFEDDD.jpg

Yes, it should be a minimum of 4" above the p-trap. I always try to get them as high as possible under the sink so you will be able to unscrew it out and replace it if needed.

Ok, i'll add a longer pipe. Thank you for your help.

Yes, it should be a minimum of 4" above the p-trap. I always try to get them as high as possible under the sink so you will be able to unscrew it out and replace it if needed.
This is a good approach.
Not all jurisdictions or codes require it to be above the flood rim level of the sink, which is pretty tough to do in many cases.

Back