kitchen sink P trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritz57

Reaction score
the P trap was not lined up correctly when it was installed.
I'm hoping to find a longer elbow (wall tube) to replace what feeds the metal (waste) exit at the plumbing supply.
I do not want to cut & sweat what's there.
And replace the clear nylon slips on the new piece with Blue or Orange (TPE?) variety.
I assume those compress and fill gaps better?
Should I be looking for beveled or is flat ok?
Is there any reason that Orange slips might leak?

This may be answered in a thread a little below this about slips in either direction and orange and blue slips.
But just in case.....

Attachments

• sink stem dw.jpg
    sink stem dw.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 0
  • stem 2.jpg
    stem 2.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
beveled blue or orange slip joint washers.
Just buy a new plastic tubular trap kit with the colored washers included.
And buy a new branch tailpiece while you're at it and get rid of that stupid offset.
While you are at it put in a dishwasher airgap to make a smart, sanitary installation choice or at the worst, put a high loop on the DW drain.

the alignment is off horizontally as well as vertically. The horizontal I'm stuck with unless I cut and sweat the metal waste.
A new trap won't fix the alignment issue, from what I see. Though I'm fine with getting new to get the proper washers.
But if the wall tube extended a little further down, that would give room to align the drain stem to the top of the J.
what's wrong with the offset, other than it feeds into a dropped drain hose instead of a proper upsidedown "U" hose from the DW.
how would I install an airgap under the counter? Everything I see is on top of the counter. I won't be drilling the granite anytime soon.
Perhaps my snaps don't have enough info?

Last edited:
You can cut that DWV copper and use a shielded band and run new pvc so you can extend farther out. Then put a trap adapter on the end of the pvc. I cant tell in the pic if that is a copper 45 or is it coming off a wye

it's a copper 45. I think a new 1.5" Oatey or Keeney trap might have a long enough wall pipe that I wouldn't need to adapt.
If I use a shielded band (I assume Fernco) should the DWV copper be "cleaned" to be more leak-secure or will the band take care of that?

Last edited:
got lazy. Just not as bendy as I used to be. Thank you both for your input.
I needed to get back to the original job of cleaning/degreasing the inside of the Vent-a-Hood.

I know I should cut the copper and put a Fernco Neoprene Shielded Coupling around the copper dwv and the wall tube of the P.

But I have other plumbing that I need a pro for, so I fixed this for now.
It's been like this for 15 years or more without a major issue and this was just a tiny slow leak. The ark is still in place.

I replaced the nylon bevels with orange Oateys (not orange Osleys, or Annie Oaklys, or Okeis from Mussogees).

Then I simultaneously-ish connected the 2 slips in yellow. I did a flow test and a pressure test (as I call it, a sink full unplugged)
The result is reasonably square though the camera angle surely is not.

I forgot to get more rubber hose to extend and raise the dw drain hose.

Attachments

• PXL_20240314_194622381.jpg
    PXL_20240314_194622381.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back