Kitchen sink not draining, plumber was out last month

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndhlp2getclear

Reaction score
We have a double sink and dishwasher. When the dishwasher runs, it backs up into the sink, then never drains. The plumber was out last month, snaked the drain, went 45 feet out and had clear lines. He also updated the vent, it was cut by previous homeowners. For the past 2 weeks, the drain has been getting slower and slower to the point it doesn't drain at all now. I really can't afford for a plumber to come back out since it was almost $300 last time. We have tried drain cleaners, blowing air in the line, taking apart all of the plumbing under the sink and no change. I need my sink, my daughter's birthday is tomorrow and I need to make her cake, can't buy one since she has dietary restrictions. Please let me know what we can do to get this fixed asap. TIA.

Your drain is most likely cloged with grease snaking it will only temporarily fix the problem as you have already seen. The drainage issue will still occur. You might be looking at replacing the drain line depending on the severity.

It should be jetted. Not to mention if he had camera'd it he would have found what is clogging it.

Sounds like this is the only backup, therefore the problem is in the waste arm from sink to stack which is usually 5 feet or less. The plumber should have known and taken care of that. You can rent a power coil snake to run back and forth in line to clean most likely grease build up in line. Clean several times while you have rental.
Flush with a hose using rags to rap around where hose goes into burpee (trap adaptor that trap connects to). You will need a valve near by and a dependable person to turn water on and off. You might be able to use a hose end valve like for gardening.
If this is the only place backing up the plumber took advantage of you. Next time call a handyman service. No plumbers license is required to unstop a drain. Might check your state rules first however. Being a retired plumber I apologize for a fellow tradesman For not solving your problem and still charging you.

If you can't clean out the waste arm you will have to replace it. If nothing else is backing up then the waste arm can be the only problem. I don't know why your plumber didn't know that.

Latest posts

Back