Kitchen sink drain pipe valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffles

Reaction score
Hi. I live in a condo with shared pipes and have had to snake the kitchen sink drain pipe twice due to food buildup. This is particularly irritating because I don't dump food down the sink. I think I bear the brunt of the problem because I live on the first floor, and my sink starts flooding when the problem manifests and people run their waste disposals.

Anyway, I was wondering if it were feasible to connect some kind of shutoff valve on the drain pipe so I can just disconnect from the system and avoid getting my kitchen floor flooded if I don't have time to deal with the problem right away. Is there a reason why I shouldn't do this?

Thank you for any advice.

I do not know of anything you can put/install to prevent this with out causing other issues or problems. Have you checked your Bylaws , your Association may share/or be responsible for the cost of clearing the drain stoppage due to the fact that the drain is a common drain with you and the units above.

Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like I can't just seal off the pipe on my end. Just for my own education - why would this cause other issues/problems?

I'd guess that the association IS responsible for those shared pipes, but at 10pm, it was either wait until morning to try to get someone on the phone or clear the problem myself. At the rate my sink was filling up, I was sure my floor would be a flooded mess by morning, thanks to the people on the floors above.

I'll need to check into who is liable if a clog like that results in water damage.

The issue/problem would be you not able to use your sink or causing other damage to the drain pipe.

I'd be okay with not using the sink until the association gets the clog fixed, but yeah, damage to the drain pipe is not so good. Thanks for the info.

Can you post a picture of what your drain piping looks like? Especially where the trap arm goes into the wall?
You may be able to install some sort of full port valve that can be shut off if that situation comes up again. Either a brass ball valve or PVC valve. Please note that this isn't something normally done and opens up a lot of questions as to whether or not it's a good idea...
Are there any other fixtures close by? Depending on how the drain, waste and venting system is installed, It is possible that by shutting off the proposed valve, it can just redirect the stoppage somewhere else.
I think the proper fix would be to snake the line out properly with a full size snake head. Probably 2".
Anyway, pictures would definitely help.

Thank you for the replies. A backwater valve seems interesting, since it would be automatic.

I'm considering this weird stuff mostly because unless the association is willing to snake the line on a semi-regular basis, I'm certain this will happen again. I think it's been maybe 1 to 1.5 years since the previous incident. The worst case scenario is if I happen to be gone for a few days and come back to a flooded kitchen.

I attached some pictures of the piping.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

A backwater valve is a good idea, where I'm from they install them in cases where the mainline backwater valve doesn't protect the sink. If your sink backs up from you it won't help obviously but if the common stack gets plugged and since your the lowest down you get all the water the back water valve should work for you. Relatively cheap and you have the room to make one work, but you would probably have to repipe the sink drain to plastic to avoid a bunch of couplings.

I agree with Steve to get rid of all that junk and repipe with plastic, but remember that backwater valves can be temperamental and a clean out may be a good idea as well.

Ball valve seems less likely to give you problems, but you're right, it isnt automatic...

Do you think a backwater valve will completely close if and when it needs to?

Yeah true enough Daniel, a ball valve is always a solid choice. But again the backwater valve works when you need it to so if you are gone then at least you are protected. My city requires them on any new home or addition. I don't think I've really ever tested one but I know they are supposed to work well. Based on the design it's basically like a flapper so I think it would work well. I know the mainline ones have saved a ton of flooded basements in our city.

I think a backwater and a ball valve would be a bad idea , if the plumbing in the wall from sink to the sink above has a bad spot the head pressure can make it give way , now you have water leaking in the wall with nothing to catch it. The plumbing is very old and they have been having stoppages before they knew. Backwater valves requires a premit and it may not be code to install at a kitchen sink.

Last edited:
Well that's true but your damned if you do or damned if you don't. It's either risking the chance of leaking behind the wall or flooding your entire kitchen while your gone. I'd talk to your association (like you already said) and see what they're willing to do

I say snake the drain properly with a full size head. If there is no 2" clean out, have the association pay to have one installed and snaked properly...

Back