kitchen sink & dishwasher backing up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linkwrayfan

Reaction score
hello,

i recently bought an older house and i'm having an issue with the kitchen sink drain. water is very slow to drain on both sides of the double sink, and water backs up into both sides when the dishwasher is running. i don't have a garbage disposal installed.

so far i have checked the trap under the sink and it was clean--no clogs there. i suspect i have a clog further down the drain but wanted to get some advice before attempting to snake it myself. the older drain pipes are susceptible to damage when snaking i imagine.

i'll attach a photo that shows the routing of the pipes. i'm not sure if the dishwasher drain hose is connected properly as it was installed by the previous owner's father-in-law.

(*also, the rusty fittings on the wall are disconnected by the way.. it's hard to tell from the photo)

thank you for taking the time to check out my plumbing issue!

IMAG0104.jpg

That is absolutely, 100%, wrong.

The dishwasher needs to be attached on the sink side of the trap, to one of the outlets of the sink bowls. Also, it needs to have a high loop or an air break installed. The Strap situation is wrong, it should have an air admittance valve to stop the trap from siphoning.

While having all of that fixed, have the plumber snake out the branch drain line.

thanks so much for you opinion and recommendation. i was afraid it wasn't plumbed properly:mad:

do you have any idea what all of these repairs might cost?

Without knowing what the going pay rate for a good service plumber who holds a journeyman's card is in your area, how much it would cost to lease or buy a commercial building suitable for housing a plumbing shop, what the cost of living is in your area, etc, I couldn't even begin to come up with an estimate.

One thing to keep in mind is that the plumbing problems that you have now were caused by someone who didn't charge very much, if anything. I totally understand needing to save money where you can, but sometime cheap ends up being expensive.

thanks.. i realize rates fluctuate widely depending on many factors. i live in southwest arkansas 71854 by the way.

i also wanted to mention that the current plumbing issues were caused by the previous owner's need to cheap out and save money. i'm annoyed that the home inspection that i paid for failed to point out these problems. i went back and checked his report and he indicated that the kitchen drain & dishwasher were operating properly, and that there was both a dishwasher air gap and drain line looped. he also noted 'drain lines had no visible leaks or signs of backup at the time of inspection'.

it seems my inspector was off on quite a few things regarding the kitchen plumbing.

Piping is defanitely a mess, but as far as clearing the blockage for now.
Undo the unions at d/w tee and snake down from there, with the right snake you should be able to clear it.
Is there a basement below that?

Piping is defanitely a mess, but as far as clearing the blockage for now.
Undo the unions at d/w tee and snake down from there, with the right snake you should be able to clear it.
Is there a basement below that?

thanks for your reply.. i'll give that a try. there is only a small crawlspace under there--no basement.

Back