Kitchen island renovation plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmquayle

Reaction score
Hello All,

We recently purchased a new home and I am in the midst of doing a kitchen renovation. We ended up changing the original configuration of the island cabinets so that they are parallel to the wall cabinets rather than perpendicular. The only issue I'm a bit hesitant about is the sink plumbing. The original sink drain seems a little high for the new configuration so I am considering lowering the sanitary tee about 6"and then running a 2 ft 1 1/2" pipe into the back of the cabinet to attach the plumbing too. The inside of the cabinet will be a two sink setup with a garbage disposal. I purchased a snappy trap off amazon, and the last image is what I imagine the inside will look like once completed. Eventually the plumbing will be hidden by another cabinet on the outside. Just wanted to get some thoughts to see if this is a viable option before I start cutting the PVC. This is an amateur DIY project so I apologize for any incorrect plumbing terminology. Thanks in advance!

aQMXYx5.jpg

9LfCqlt.jpg

Z1KbzDD.jpg

YihVWKT.jpg

OH!! Don't you that. That is something we add to our ugly and bad plumbing photo collection. Better to come out of wall with a 45. Avoid using 90's on the horizontal.

decide which side you want the disposal on and come out of wall going toward disposal.

Point the disposal in best position to connect Dishwasher air gap if you're using one. ( Here they are required )

Build the continuous waste 1st. horizontal connection including santee between the disposal and 2nd sink tail piece.
Then connect the p-trap last. You can use another 1/8th bend or a 1/16th bend for final p-trap connection if needed.

3rd photo (white background ) is alternative if you didn't get trap arm low enough.
Disposal connect horizontally to santee
2nd sink come into top of santee and you use a street santee.
But that would have the disposal outlet almost the same level as the trap arm outlet

drain disposal.jpg

DSC01612 (800x600).jpg

020.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight Mr.David! I was a bit skeptical of the Snappy Trap as it seemed a little gimicky, however I thought it would be nice to have something that could bend a little if needed in a tight space. Looks like I will just go with the traditional pvc setup. I am also curious if it would be better to cut off the curved top of the 3" drainage pipe and replace with a an air intake valve using the below items.

RZDuND5.jpg

oatey-air-admittance-valves-39230-64_1000.jpg

couplings-adaptors-c4801hd3112-64_1000.jpg

That is the cleanout. They oversized the pipe because they could not run a vent up. Those AAV's need to be accessible in case they fail.

Latest posts

Back