Kitchen faucet low water pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimpleRick

Reaction score
I'll admit I'm stumped on this one. My kitchen faucet has low water pressure on both the hot and cold water. It's only in the kitchen faucet. No where else in the house. The pressure starts off a little better but the more I open the cold or hot water, the pressure drops to a trickle.

Grab the end where the water comes out called the “ aerator “ and unscrew it Clockwise standing in front of the faucet.
Check that first and let me know

Ok. So I'm back. Took off the aerator and it was working fine. Went to the local big box store to see if I could get a new one. They did not have it so I decided to put the old one in some vinegar and let it sit. While the old aerator was in the vinegar I tried the faucet again and it had very low water pressure again. I think at this point I should just replace the faucet.
View attachment 20230909_215131.mp4

Unscrew the cap that holds the spout on. It should spin off counterclockwise

You don’t have to turn the water off to the faucet to do this. Just a little water will drain from the spout.

Use a paper towel to soak the water up once the cap is removed so you can see down in there good.

There will be a plastic diverter piece in there. That’s most likely the trouble. Remove that part, it unscrews counterclockwise also. It controls the sprayhead.

At that point you can go to hardware store or post a pic of the diverter and we can try match it up. You can put the metal cap back on and the faucet should have restored volume.

The spray head will not work correctly until the diverter is replaced but so what, you’ll have flow.

AAEE1CD6-1425-4CA9-8A39-2613667A833F.jpeg

The tool To unscrew the diverter out once you get access varies by brand.

It might be a big 1/4” hex socket for a Allen wrench. I’ve used the hex head of a 1/4” bolt upside down to fit it and unscrew on some faucets.

Some faucets it’ll have a slot where a nickel will fit perfect then you grab the nickel with pliers and unscrew counterclockwise.

And I have broke it out in pieces with needle nose pliers.

This probably isn’t your brand but here is an example of the diverter I’m talking about. Parts may be a little different but the principle is the same.

https://gerber-us.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/443/related/1

Update: Very little progress has been made. I did get the cap off but found an allen was needed. I didn't have an allen big enough to fit so off to the harbor freight store. Thought I needed a 1/2 inch but it was too big, tried the 7/16 inch and that was slightly too small. Just small enough that it slips. I am not joking about this. Do I need to buy a special removal tool?20230910_175203.jpg

I’ve used the hex of a bolt before.

CFC34700-1D99-4150-BFAC-D29E49FC501A.jpeg

Get it out and you’ll most likely have full flow again.

You could also try the smaller hex wrench with a flathead screwdriver wedged on one side to tighten it up.

It’s gotta be a close fit to begin with then the screwdriver jammed in there snugs it all up.

I'm thinking about getting a millimeter set of allens. Maybe 12 mm will work but just in case I'm gonna pick up a new faucet and record the model #.

I'm thinking about getting a millimeter set of allens. Maybe 12 mm will work but just in case I'm gonna pick up a new faucet and record the model #.

If you’re going to drive around buying tools to try then I would suggest just replacing the faucet but that might bring new challenges.

I usually get them out one way or another whole or in pieces in about 2-3 minutes so it’s worth the effort for me.

Here is an update: I ordered a 12 mm allen wrench online and got it delivered and it only cost $8. I removed the diverter and the water flow is back to normal. Since then I've ordered a new faucet online and received it. Ultimately, I have to replace the faucet because its at least 15 years old. Unfortunately, I'm working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day for a couple of months. When that ends I'll have time to tackle the faucet problem once and for all.

Here is an update: I ordered a 12 mm allen wrench online and got it delivered and it only cost $8. I removed the diverter and the water flow is back to normal. Since then I've ordered a new faucet online and received it. Ultimately, I have to replace the faucet because its at least 15 years old. Unfortunately, I'm working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day for a couple of months. When that ends I'll have time to tackle the faucet problem once and for all.

At least you have water until you can replace it. I have customers that chose to leave the diverter out and keep using the faucet.

Back