Kholer k-8304 mixing valve question (aspirator)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickFlorida

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm just about done installing my new tub/shower but just realized I need to address whether I want to keep the aspirator or should I reverse it for my application?

The K-8304 mixing valve has an aspirator on the top outlet by default since this usually goes to a shower head. The instructions say keep the aspirator if the top is going to a shower head. Or you can reverse it. I only have the top outlet from my K-8304 going anywhere at all because I have it going to a 3/6 function diverter. I am having my diverter valve control all 3 of my water outlets for shower/tub. One is a rainhead, the others are a hand-wand on a sliding rail, and of course the tub spout. Am I correct that my best option is to reverse the aspirator to my single outlet going from my K-8304 to the 3/6 diverter valve? I'm not sure exactly what an aspirator does. I want maximum pressure, don't care about air being mixed in, correct?

Thanks for any guidance.

I read your post a few times and looked at the valve and description,I know I'm missing something, not sure what am asperator is, check with Kohler if no one chimes in

So you’re not using the bottom outlet of the 8304 that’s typically used for a tub spout ?

You’re planning to plug the bottom outlet and use a 3/6 function diverter valve to direct the water to the tub spout.

Is this correct ?

If so, why ? Why not just drop the tub spout straight out of the valve ?

The aspirator allows air to be pulled in through the showerhead as the tub spout is flowing. Prevents the showerhead dribbling while the tubs filling. That’s what I understand, that may not be fact.

Screw Kohler by the way.........I wouldn’t use it. I’d swap all that out for Delta while I had the chance.

Using the valve like you plan I doubt the aspirator will do anything since you’re routing all the piping through the 3/6 function diverter. You could remove it. Check with Kohler.

Last edited:
Your tub might fill slow doing like you’re planning. What’s the max flow of your 3/6 diverter ?

I read your post a few times and looked at the valve and description,I know I'm missing something, not sure what am asperator is, check with Kohler if no one chimes in

Here is the diagram. There is a little plastic aspirator that you can keep in for shower head or remove/reverse.

Attachments

• IMG_3534.JPEG
    IMG_3534.JPEG
    1 MB · Views: 10
So you’re not using the bottom outlet of the 8304 that’s typically used for a tub spout ?

You’re planning to plug the bottom outlet and use a 3/6 function diverter valve to direct the water to the tub spout.

Is this correct ?

If so, why ? Why not just drop the tub spout straight out of the valve ?

Correct of what I'm doing. I'm doing this because normal tub spout diverters always fail fast here with our hard water and being by the ocean in Florida. Plus, if I'm installing a hand/wand shower on a sliding bar, I would need a diverter valve anyways. Tub spouts always leak when the shower is on it seems to me. So I thought using a high quality 3/6 function diverter valve to control all water flow was better. I'm using a Delta R11000 diverter. I'm going to remove the aspirator and see how I like it. I could always put it back in if I get too much dribble. And boy is that ironic if I get more dribble by not using the aspirator when I thought using a diverter valve and not relying on the crappy tub spout diverters to stop water dribble was smarter. Thanks for explaining what they are for, that is very helpful and I always appreciate your knowledge. I'll report here how my system works when I test it. Oh, and I didn't realize a diverter valve might have a slower rate than what the mixing valves can do. This is something I never thought of. I'll check if they report the flow rate of R11000. From what your are saying, Kholer valves are crappy compared to Delta so I'm hoping my Delta R11000 has better flow rate. We have all 1/2 copper plumbing so we don't have nice 3/4 pipe volume anyways. I'm use to slow water. The diverter can do true single source diversion of 3 or 6 shared. If I set it up for the single source 3 diversion, it should be the same flow rate I would have thought.

Last edited:
Make sure you don’t pipe your spout into a shared function. You wouldn’t want the tub filling when the rain head was on, etc.

I understand your complaints on most tub spouts. The Delta tub spouts work and they last, they’re built different.

If you run everything through your diverter then you don’t need the aspirator.

Here are your flow selections that you can have with the R110000 diverter 3/6 diverter.

Be sure to select the right cartridge then pipe the whole assembly according to how you want it to work.

697DCB23-DADC-4777-BA35-2724E02FE433.jpeg

Thanks for that info never seen that before I've repaired Kohler never installed we are pretty loyal to SYMMONS around here, thanks again

Kohler is so stupid, I really can’t stand them anymore, they just don’t stop making crap year after year and design after design

They remake and redesign faucets that look the same with different parts inside......but don’t change the model number. So you have to know the date of manufacturer not just the model number of their products.

Here are your flow selections that you can have with the R110000 diverter 3/6 diverter.

Be sure to select the right cartridge then pipe the whole assembly according to how you want it to work.

View attachment 32419
Thanks... Yes I kept this exact page of instructions because of how only some flows are shared vs non shared functions. Thank you!
By the way, I definitely would have done things different had I know what I know now. For example, Delta has combination mixing valve and diverter valve so I could have just roughed in one unit. I could not afford to hire a professional to remodel my small bathroom here in Floriday. They want like 15,000 to remodel a small bathroom because Florida is booming right now so they just take the jobs they want. So I've made a few rookie mistakes in design and selection but at least I know more for the next bathroom job.

Back