Jet pump priming issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmp498

Reaction score
We recently purchased some property with a well. It is an Ace 1 hp deep well jet pump that looks to have some age on it. The first time I tried to run the pump it took about a gallon of water to prime the pump and it ran flawlessly for 20 minutes until I shut it off. But I did hear it sucking air when it was off. Now, I haven’t been able to get it to prime even after adding 10 gallons of water. Could it be a stuck foot valve? Also, I found where it is sucking air from. It has a crack where I’ve been adding water to prime. I’ve added a picture of where the crack is. I’m hoping to replace that part if someone can tell me what it is and where I can find one. I’d like to fix the current pump if it can be done inexpensively. Thank you for any help because I am new to well water.

Attachments

• IMG_3675.jpeg
    IMG_3675.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3676.jpeg
    IMG_3676.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Probably a new pump.
What about the priming issues? I forgot to mention that the well has been sitting without use for about 3 years. Could it be that the foot valve isn’t closing properly? My thinking is that it was closed before I ran the pump for the first time but didn’t close properly after that from years of sitting. Is there anything else it could be as well?

What about the priming issues? I forgot to mention that the well has been sitting without use for about 3 years. Could it be that the foot valve isn’t closing properly? My thinking is that it was closed before I ran the pump for the first time but didn’t close properly after that from years of sitting. Is there anything else it could be as well?
You said it was sucking in air through the crack. That means water is leaking out and pulling the air in.

Yes, you have a leak some place that needs to be repaired. You’ll need to find it.

Latest posts

Back