Is Type L Soft/Coil Copper generally approved for in home plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amodoko

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Hi guys, currently in Missouri and have two quick questions:

1) Is Type L soft/coil copper approved for in home plumbing? I want to use soft Type L copper for setting up the plumbing for a frost proof sillcock since it will make my life easier since I can bend it instead of soldering in a bunch of copper fittings.

2) Is Type M rigid copper approved for in home plumbing?

I already contacted my city hall to get these answers but they are taking a while to get back to me and wanted to see if anyone else here would have an idea. Thanks for your time.

Nevermind, I got my answer finally today from them. In my area (yours may be different)Type L soft copper is not approved for in home potable water. My area allows both type M and type L rigid copper, but not soft/coil copper.

Soft/coil copper can be used for water services in Missouri

Type L soft copper is approved for potable water. That's the most used here in Florida as most homes are on slabs. The soft copper is used under the slabs to loop from one location to another. I see no reason why your inspectors don't allow it. There is no difference between rigid type L and soft copper type L. Other then the temper of the tubing.

John

I don't know why either. But that is what my governing body told me when I got a hold of them. They said specifically that it used to be only type L rigid copper was approved, and now recently they've amended it to allow for type M rigid copper, but that type L soft copper is still not approved. He specifically said it is only used for "water services" but not in home potable water plumbing whatever that means (IFIXH20 had referenced water services in his post earlier as well).

After talking to a bunch of people about this while waiting for my answer from them, I found that other plumbers had varying opinions on it. Some said they are ONLY allowed to use it under slabs and underground or something and not in the home. Some said they felt it was always legal to use it anywhere. But there were definitely enough people in my area that said that it was NOT approved for use by code to initially cause me concern, that's why I decided to double check with my governing body.

I don't know why either, but that is what my county government told me so I have to do what they say. I wished they would have allowed it though, would make my life a lot easier...

Last edited:
Well being completely realistic you can do whatever you want in your house (not saying you should) but that's fine, you can bend type L rigid copper just not type M. It's just not as easy to bend. I really can't understand their reasoning. It has the same wall thickness and characteristics only difference is its temperament (like John said already) I'm guessing its more expensive than type L rigid tubing which is why most houses have hard tube instead. But I suppose if that's what they say then that's how it goes.

I am wondering if their concern is that it is easy to kink it when bending it? I have seen kinks that were straightened out that have started to leak years later.

Yeah phishfood, I was thinking it had to do with issues with kinking soft copper as well. It's not a huge deal for me to not be able to use it though, just would have saved me some time from having to solder fittings in tight spaces (I'm not very comfortable with push fit fittings either so I'd rather solder). I will save some money now anyways since 10ft of type M rigid copper is $8 vs $20 for 10ft of type L soft copper.

But I would agree, probably has to do with issues with kinks.

M might be cheaper, but L is thicker walled, and all other things being equal, is a better product. The only place I will use M is on tubspouts and shower risers which aren't under pressure.

I agree, I actually made a mistake in my earlier post when I said 10ft of type M cost $8, I meant to say that 5 ft of type M cost $8 (10ft only costs $10 or $11 here). I prefer to use type L as well, but I had bought about 5 ft of type M that day since I was driving in my little car and couldn't fit 10ft of type L in my car (they didn't sell 5ft of rigid type L, only 5 ft of rigid type M. Rigid type L was only sold in 10ft lengths or an expensive 2ft length). Now that I have it I figure I'll just use it. It's approved for code anyways, and I am only doing a little bit of inside plumbing for a frost proof sillcock. I've heard that type M copper should last decades if soldered and installed correctly, but if I'm wrong then please let me know. I will happily go and get some extra type L if type M will cause me problems, I was just feeling lazy and didn't feel like making a special trip to HD to just get some more copper.

Last edited:
I've used type M in houses and actually a lot of houses in my area have type m with no problems after 40 years. But I do agree type L is my preference too

Latest posts

Back