Is this utility sink plumbing correct?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Ferrari

Reaction score
The vertical line is a 3 inch which connects to a sink, toilet and washing machine on main floor. It heads under concrete slab to the sewer.

See photos.

The utility sink in basement is piped into this vertical 3" using an air admittance valve (AAV) and a sanitary tee (3" x 1.5"). I've disconnected the sink for ease of photographing.

I wonder if it's possible that a large amount of water heading down that 3" vertical line could ever overflow the 1.5" tee'd off line.

Any comments or concerns with installation? Thanks in advance.

20190322_222234.jpg

20190322_222221.jpg

20190322_225925.jpg

Last edited:
It could be piped into that three inch pipe straight up and if you wanted to add a wye and a clean out fitting before it enters the vertical stack. No real need for vent if that vertical pipe goes to roof.

It could be piped into that three inch pipe straight up and if you wanted to add a wye and a clean out fitting before it enters the vertical stack. No real need for vent if that vertical pipe goes to roof.

Thanks for the reply. The 3" does not vent to the roof so I added the AAV. Is the AAV positioning acceptable? Any other concerns?

where does that 3'' go to?

is that a waste stack for the upstairs?
Thanks for the reply. A toilet, a shower, a bathroom sink and a washing machine tie into this 3" line on the main floor (while the 3" is in a horizontal run. Then the 3" 90s down and becomes a vertical line as shown in the photo. In the photo, the 3" line disappears under the slab and ties into a line that goes to the sewer. I tied in about 12" above the slab using that sanitary tee.

that is a no no
bad ju ju

it will work but it is not code
you can not tie a drain int a waste stack. what you have done wet vent the sink
altho went venting is allowed
it can only be done on the same floor,,
and can only be 1 fixture
and toilets can not be in the wet vent

congratulations,,,i think you hit a trifecta!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what i would do if i were you is .........i hate to say this but...leave well enough alone
here is the down side, IF, your bathroom backs up. sh..stuff from the terlet IS going to back up into your sink

6''.png

Reactions: SHR

Latest posts

Back