Is this standard procedure for replacing handles?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourblade

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a problem with the handles and faucet in my bathtub. About 2 years ago I started noticing that every now and then a drop of water would fall out of the faucet when the water was off. While unusual I thought nothing of it. I mentioned it to my landlord and she practically dismissed it.

Fast forward a year and the drop of water has now upgraded to a few drops nearly constantly. The cold water handle also now leaks when turned on. Again I brought it up to my landlord. She said she would look into it. Never followed up.

Another year passes and now there's a constant thin stream of water constantly coming out of the faucet which makes its way under the faucet and to the wall. The underside of the faucet is now corroded. There's now also a thin stream of water coming out of the cold water handle when turned on. This brings us to the present. About a month ago we bring this issue to the landlord again, she says she'll call a plumber. When asked for an ETA she says she doesn't know and will let us know when she hears back from them. She then leaves for her beach house and is gone for a week. She comes back and after a few days (Wednesday) tells us that the plumber will be here on Thursday morning (yesterday).

NOW TO THE FISHY STUFF.

The plumbers come and take a look and say they'll have to replace some piping. They say they'll try and take out some tile from the tub walls but if not they have to go to the connecting room and break down the wall there and install the pipes to then work on replacing the handles and faucets. To top it off they're charging $500+.

Normally I wouldn't care too much but it's less than 24 hours notice and the other room is storage and its going to be a pain taking everything out of there to make room for them to work or risk everything getting dirty and contaminated (clothes, food, other stuff that will take time to place elsewhere). I also realize it's not my bill to pay, even though I offered to give $70 to pay for tiles and for the plumbers to not work through the wall of that other room. They said they would try their "best".

Is this standard procedure here?

Is it a three handle shower faucet. Yes most of the work if replacing would be on the back side. They do make a retro fit single handle valve that could be done on the shower side. I am not sure if you have copper or galvanized piping in the house

Is it a three handle shower faucet. Yes most of the work if replacing would be on the back side. They do make a retro fit single handle valve that could be done on the shower side. I am not sure if you have copper or galvanized piping in the house

This is what I have. I'm surprised because all of what I read and the videos Ive watched on replacing the handles and faucet, not one of them mentioned messing with inside plumbing. It's usually replacing the stems based on what I've seen. As for piping I think it's copper.
202010230919557a1d3071e74804e6.jpg

I just intentionally replaced what looks like that same setup and yes you need access from the front, and possibly below for full replacement. This was part of a full bathroom renovation.

That being said when I got the wall down and started to remove that identical valve assembly I realized it was an old but very high quality Price-Pfister. Renovating just that was possible by obtaining all new stems, etc. and doing it without any wall damage. Probably would have been like new.

However there were leaks evident from the tub, wall, toilet etc. so the full renovation was necessary.

I just intentionally replaced what looks like that same setup and yes you need access from the front, and possibly below for full replacement. This was part of a full bathroom renovation.

That being said when I got the wall down and started to remove that identical valve assembly I realized it was an old but very high quality Price-Pfister. Renovating just that was possible by obtaining all new stems, etc. and doing it without any wall damage. Probably would have been like new.

However there were leaks evident from the tub, wall, toilet etc. so the full renovation was necessary.

Damn, sucks to hear that. Were you doing the renovations yourself or had contracted help?

Im not sure what brand my old one was. It was there before I moved in and lasted almost 2 decades before leaking so definitely high quality as well.

Below are the pictures of what yesterday's replacement ended up being. I searched around and this seems to be what they installed:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Ad...alve-in-Chrome-Valve-Included-82603/300213962

There seem to be mixed reviews online because despite claiming to be chrome it's mostly made out of polyurethane and that there's no volume control. There's also a mixed bag on how long it lasts compared to fully metal counterparts.

202010240839027a1d3071e74804e6.jpg

20201024_080014.jpg

Patched up hole in the connecting room where they replaced whatever piping necessary

20201024_082658.jpg

Anyone here have used this model before or have experience with it?

Back