Is this right?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tourless

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I think this might stable two forums so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place but here it goes...

I have an ejector pump in a basement apartment and got a call from my tenant saying their toilet was not working... I plunged and snaked (as best I could) and no change, still backed up. I ran two sinks to fill the pump tank to hear the pump kick on but it never did. It started to bubble out the top. The pump has two piggybacked plugs feeding it. The first one plugs directly into the outlet and the second one plugs into the first one. When I unplugged the second one from the first and plunged it directly into an outlet the pump started to run. A moment later there was water coming out of a wall behind an access panel. I opened the access panel to find a (and I'm not sure hoe to describe this) but it looks like a u shaped joint with two caps, only one of the capped wasn't capped. It was open and obviously that place where the water was spewing from.

After cleaning up and unplugging the pump (since it was still running off the second plug directly to the outlet) I flushed and the toilet was fine.

So I'm thinking I have two problems. First is the pump may be clogged (thinking the tenant flushed more than just waste and toilet paper. Second, the u joint may not be capped or vented properly (see pic).

I'm going to have this looked at today, I hope (waiting on a call back) or tomorrow with a schedule appointment. But I'm hoping you experts could let me know if I'm on the right track since this is beyond my comfort and knowledge zone.

Thanks in advance to all.

IMG_5491.jpg

One of those plugs is the float. So yes you have the float on the pump you need to contend with. As for the leak, More pics might help.

Latest posts

Back