Is this OK? Bathtub relocate

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Reaction score
I posted another tread about venting. There is a p-trap in the concrete floor. This is all just temp mock up. There will be a reasonable slope.

Question is mostly about the T where the overflow and main drain meet.

The drain was originally a shower and it drained fine.

I could run this to the other drain in the picture, but would require another 90. Plan is to use that one for a sink.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Will it work? Probably. Is it legal? Not in my area.
That 'other drain' is probably the vent for the shower, BTW.
Ideally you should dig it up and pipe/vent it properly, but it really depends on your comfort level and how much you want to spend.

Just a quick update.

I put the tub in place, filled it up most of the way and let it drain. No glue and surprisingly no leaks! The tub drained fine. Maybe a bit slower then others, but you know what they say about a watched pot ;). It drained fast enough that a garden hose would not even come close to starting to fill the tub with the plug open.

Unless someone tells me this is way bad, will proceed with this.

@Tim Whistler . Thanks. I figured that the back pipe is a vent. There was a vertical pipe going up from it (with a laundry drain t'ed in). It was just cut and pressed against the plywood on the main floor. I am going to drain a sink to that and will put in a vent pipe.

Digging up the concrete and relocating the p-trap is way more then I am up for.

I am curious to know why the p-trap should be below the tub. Don't really want a detailed description, but other then "it's code", why is it supposed to be that way. I am essentially 1.5 feet (on the diagonal) away from where it "should" be with an AFR tub.

This is a guest bathroom that will be used less then 10 days a year. The washer and dryer were in the room and I moved those. Figured I would take out the terrible little shower and put in a bathtub shower. Started out simply, but you know, just escalated from there ;)

Latest posts

Back