Is this dezincification?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Smith

Reaction score
I had a home inspection on a condo and the inspector warned about the possibility of dezincification as a couple of the PEX fittings had corrosion. I'm planning to get a local plumber to take a look but am wanting to get multiple opinions. Based on the images what's the likelihood of just normal corrosion vs dezincification? The pipe manufacture is Vanguard Vanex and the condo was built in 2007-2008.

Attachments

• DSC08232.JPG
    DSC08232.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC08233.JPG
    DSC08233.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Are there any chemicals in the room or exhaust gases close by from a heating system ?

Are there any chemicals in the room or exhaust gases close by from a heating system ?
It does look more like external corrosion to me too. But the other metals close to the tee and the one crimp band has no corrosion at all, so I'm thinking it is a quality issue with the affected parts.

This pipe does sit above the gas furnace. And the gas hot water heater is also close by. I'm mostly worried about having to repipe the whole condo if it's bad components that were used.

I'm mostly worried about having to repipe the whole condo if it's bad components that were used.
In that case go inspect one of these components which is far away in another location. Might be in a wall though. A good place to take a peak would be in the back of the cabinet under a sink in a bathroom. Those usually don't have backs - the wall is directly accessible from inside the cabinet. If you have to poke a little hole in the drywall to look, the quality of the repair in a hidden location like that doesn't need to be stellar, for instance, you don't really need to paint over the patch. If you are really lucky there might even be an access panel in one of those locations.

Latest posts

Back