Is this a splash leak or pipe leak?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I came home from work and I noticed that I had a leak in my ceiling. Not a horrible leak, but it has been dripping through ceiling for about 45 minutes. I believe it may be coming from shower and noticed it needs to be caulked.

My wife took a 30 minute shower about 30 minutes before this happened.. I am going to caulk the shower tomorrow, and hope this solve the problem. Is there a way to tell a difference between splash leak and pipe leak?

I would use the process of elimination on this problem. If the water eventually stops dripping, you can rule out a water line leaking. This leaves the following potential causes: 1. shower drain leaking (bad seal), 2. shower valve may be leaking only when water is on (remove trim to view) 3. shower arm may be leaking behind wall 4. toilet seal may be leaking . I always try to eliminate these possibilities first. If no luck, may have to cut ceiling to investigate further.

Back