Is there anything I should do to a cut pipe before using a push to connect connector?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amateurplumber

Reaction score
Do I just cut the pipe and attach the connector, or should I clean the outside with emery paper first (and/or do something else)?

Thanks all!

I would make sure that the pipe end is free from burrs. The push connectors that I have seen use internal O-rings to make the seal. A burr or ragged edge might damage the O-ring which could compromise the seal. I would also make sure that the outside of the pipe that will slide into the connector is also clean and does not have any deep scratches/scarring.

Weird, I thought they were fairly popular. Connecting from the pipes to the bypass on the softener. Should make my job incredibly easy. Push to connect side goes on the pipes, female threaded end goes on the bypass.

johnjh2o said:
The ones I have seen were compression fittings. Just my opinion but I prefer compression fittings over shark bites.

I agree completely with you john, compression isn't much harder and the quality of connection is way better

But its not a sharkbite connection. Its a push to connect. I couldnt find any flexes with compression ends on one side and a FIPS connection on the other.

Push fit is the style that shark bite is. Shark bite is just a specific brand of push fit. It's not that big of a deal but us plumbers have our preferences :p

Damnit, was trying to stay away from that! :( Well, I guess it was all i could find, though. ;)

Back