Is there a way to fix this dripping shutoff valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecrane99

Reaction score
I have pex pipe running to my outdoor wood furnace and noticed a puddle under this pump. Futher inpection revealed water dripping from the shaft that goes into the fixture where my finger is pointing. It drips in both the on and off postion. I tried to tighten the nut, but it just spins and wont get tight. Is there an easy fix, or do I need to replace? Thanks. Ed

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

A good ball valve will have a packing nut under the handle.
Yours uses the handle to press against a packing gland.
If you can remove the handle there should be a ring that may or may not easily come off. Try wrapping some teflon string or some tape around stem. reinstall brass ring. The handle, when tighten, should compress the teflon and my stop the leak. I would replace the valve

A good ball valve will have a packing nut under the handle.
Yours uses the handle to press against a packing gland.
If you can remove the handle there should be a ring that may or may not easily come off. Try wrapping some teflon string or some tape around stem. reinstall brass ring. The handle, when tighten, should compress the teflon and my stop the leak. I would replace the valve

Thanks very much. I'll give it a shot. Otherwise will buy a new one.

I hired a plumber to replace the valves. It appears that the rust inhibitor I was using may have eroded the packing material to cause the valves to leak. I will need to dilute it. Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Ed

Awesome. Thanks for the feed back.
Glad you got it fixed.

Latest posts

Back