Is there a Electrician in the House?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birkoff

Reaction score
I know, its a plumbing forum, but guessing plumbers would know the answer to my question.

I'm thinking of installing a wifi switch to control an outside light, one that uses an app. The switch says there must be a 'neutral' wire. The house was built in 1993 to code and has a half dozen 'ground fault' outlets. I read that an indication of wiring having a neutral line is a voltage difference of about 1 volt between the ground plug and the 'long' outlet plug, which does mine does. Is there other ways of determining if a neutral line is part of the house circuit?

Until recently the electrical code did not require that switches have nuetral. so you typically see one run of 14-2 NM (aka Romex) going to teh box containing the switch, and they used the white wire, which is normally a neutral, as the switched leg and put red or blue tape on it.

Every receptacle will have a white neutral, a black line, and a green ground run to it. in 1993, no jurisdiction that I know of was requiring that two runs of nm were run to/from the switch.. Wasnt a need until a few years back when the smart switches started showing up, and folks doing out that they couldn’t simply Wire them in, that anyone thought they were necessary.

I know, its a plumbing forum, but guessing plumbers would know the answer to my question.

I'm thinking of installing a wifi switch to control an outside light, one that uses an app. The switch says there must be a 'neutral' wire. The house was built in 1993 to code and has a half dozen 'ground fault' outlets. I read that an indication of wiring having a neutral line is a voltage difference of about 1 volt between the ground plug and the 'long' outlet plug, which does mine does. Is there other ways of determining if a neutral line is part of the house circuit?
Not sure I'd depend on a voltage reading on an outlet to determine if my light switch box has a neutral. Open it up and check. If you have the skills to install the IoT switch yourself, you have the skills to pull it apart and check the wiring (also, send pictures!). You know this, but make sure you turn off the power to that light at the breaker before opening the box.

Also, depending on the bulb type used in your outdoor fixture, you could use an IoT light bulb and avoid any wiring changes at all.

We need an acronym list just like we did when I was in the Federal Gubment. What does "IoT" mean?
Sorry, Internet of Things, all those internet connected devices (light like switches, and bulbs).

"The 'S' in IoT stands for Security". 8*)

You guys get up early. Its 5:40 am on the west coast. Thank you for the responses. My guess is Fish and Well nailed it. I don't see a neutral in the switch box. I've thought the smart bulb route is probably the best way to go.

Lutron Caseta dimmer switches do not require a neutral wire. I have an older house and have a bunch installed. The do require a small hub that connects to your router. The installation is straight forward and the integrate with other smart home software/controllers. Although it’s a more expensive option than a connected bulb, having the bulb controlled at the switch means it will always work, no matter if you have it on a schedule or use the switch. Bulbs need the switch to always be in the “on” position in order for them to be connected and controllable. Keep in mind that it is only the dimmer switch that does not require a neutral as the other switches in the Caseta line do.

Back