Is softener plumbed wrong?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazywater

Reaction score
Just wanted to see if someone would verify if this is plumbed correct or not.

I think that the plumbing to the inlet and outlet should be switched on the water softener.

I have the inlet and the outlet labeled correctly in the photo based on what is one the valve for each.

Thanks for all your help.

plumbingwatersoftener.jpg

Thanks John. That's what I thought.

Unfortunately that's how it's been plumbed since the house was built 6 years ago. Guess that might explain why it never seemed like our water was very soft and why the softener is not working now. :)

Nice. So next question is should the builder and/or plumber be responsible to fix it since they installed incorrectly?

They should fix it but most warranties are only one year. I would call them but be nice if there reputable contractors they may fix it. There not hacks I can tell that by there work. It's just a honest mistake.

john

I should have it fixed though right? I mean it really won't function properly the way it's connected now correct?

Thanks for your help. Not even sure if the plumber is still in business. He was getting close to retiring when he finished up my house 6 years ago.

I agree, it's backwards if you have your labels right. Apparently it has a top strainer or you would have filled your plumbing with media.

It does have a top strainer. That's now clogged with resin. We did get resin in the plumbing. Not sure how much.

Washing machine was giving an error that inlet was clogged. Sure enough the cold water inlet screen was pretty much completely clogged with resin.

Should I be worried about resin that may have gotten into the hot water heater? Probably should flush it just to be on the safe side huh.

johnjh20 and speedbump, Thanks for all you help.

Softeners are downflow, so the screen at the bottom of the distributor keeps the resin out of the plumbing. When backwashing, with too much flow/pressure, resin can be fluffed up high enough to enter the head and stick valves and get into your plumbing. With a top screen, that's not possible. So unless your strainer is cracked or the bottom screen; your not seeing resin, probably just rust etc.

I took it apart and the screen isn't cracked, What I think may have happened and I'm just throwing this out there because I'm not sure,

Since the softener was plumbed with water coming in the out valve and going out the in valve that broken down resin passed thru the strainer as water was going up the distributor to exit the softener (the wrong way).

Does that seem possible?

Nope, there is a screen on the distributor tube also. It should have the same size slots as the upper strainer. About 10/1000s of an inch.

Water Boss water softeners are piped in this way on their softeners.

Buying that particular brand could be an easy switchout without much effort, just connecting to the new softener the way the piping is.

how is this easier than just changing the piping ??

Back