Is Roto Rooter Ripping Us Off?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChgoGrrl99

Reaction score
Hi,

We live in a 3-flat condo in Chicago. All three units are occupied by owners.

Last week, our main sewer line clogged and backed up. We called Roto-Rooter in to snake the line. They got it open and then the guy with camera came out and told us we should have an outside clean-out installed. They also told us it was roots getting into the line leading to the city sewer (yes it's on our side of property line) and that they needed a 6-inch cleanout pipe to clear the sewer line of roots.

In the front of the house (outside) we have a 4-inch pipe with a gutter drain running into it, in the basement at the front of the building we have a 3 1/2 inch line and at the rear of the building there is a six-inch pipe with another gutter pipe running into it.

Roto Rooter said they needed to tear up our front lawn, install an outside 6-inch pipe and clear the main line from there.

I asked if they could just send the rod with the blades from the six-inch line at the rear of the building. He said no, it was too far. I have my doubts.

They want nearly $4000 for the job, an extra $500 or so for the jet wash.

What do you guys think?

It's hard to say without being able to see what's going on. But what I will say is get another estimate or two. Get the estimates from company's that don't have ROOTER in there name. These people are very well known for over pricing and not being very honest or knowledgeable.

John

Last edited:
He said you needed a 6" c.o.? Personally I've never saw one in my lifetime any apartment or condo complex. The biggest you should need is 4". And he couldn't just grab another roll of cable and add it on to his machine to go further down the line? I've ran into sewers that are 130 ft long, and all we ever did is grab another roll of cable. Again as John said its hard to say without physically being there to see the issue, but yeah definitely call someone besides roto or mr rooter and tell them the problem and see what they say.
Also I personally don't like the idea of gutters running into your sewer system cause if your sewer backs up and it's pouring out, you're going for a swim. You could consider running them out on your lawn 5 ft or so from the building. Just my opinion though.

I grew up in Chicago and have done drain cleaning there for several years before moving. 6" clay is a pretty common size for a building sewer there. Storm drains connecting to the building drainage is also common however some times they discharge into a catch basin that k.sink and laundry lines also drain to before dumping into the building drain. This all depends on what part of the city you are in, of course.The pipe is also easily 10 ft in the ground. A few extra bids and opinions is good advice no matter what.

johnjh2o said:
It's hard to say without being able to see what's going on. But what I will say is get another estimate or two. Get the estimates from company's that don't have ROOTER in there name. These people are very well known for over pricing and not being very honest or knowledgeable.

John

Agreed John. Anyone with Rooter in their name where I'm from is a crook...

About 28 years ago. I called Roto Rooter (not knowing any better yet). They showed up with a pump truck and immediately started looking for the septic tank. They were going to pump it. That, I was told would fix the stopped up drain line from the one bathroom (we had two and the other worked fine). I asked them why they didn't run a snake through that line, they said that wouldn't help. I tossed them out of the yard, called a local plumber who went up on the roof, ran a shake down the vent and cleared the line.

Buyer beware!

Back