Is replacing heater elements covered by a plumber's "warranty"???

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Robot

Reaction score
Interested in opinions on this. I expect that consumers/homeowners will side with me & perhaps professional plumbers will not but....what do you think....

I bought a new hot water heater in May 2017. I paid a professional plumbing firm $1800 for it (at the time my back was to the wall & I needed it done fast, and they were the only plumber I could get who could do it right away, so I went along with that inflated charge, whereas other plumbers were quoting me prices of like $800 but unable to do it until the next week). The heater came with a 6 year "warranty" from the plumbing company (one with a fleet of trucks, many techs, etc and from asking around charge much more than any other firm in the area for any type of work that they do - plumbing, HVAC, electric, etc).

About a year later the unit started failing in that I could not get enough hot water to take a regular shower. We have very hard water here and I had the same issue with my previous water heater which required changing the elements twice during its 8 year lifespan (after 8 years that heater then started leaking from the bottom and was replaced with the one that I have now). Oddly the water heater I had b4 that one, which came with the house, lasted 12 years b4 that one started leaking and never had to have the elements replaced ever. All 3 units were/are Bradford White btw, same capacity models, but each one got bigger in footprint size from increased insulation etc I believe.

At the time of this current heater failing to heat long enough for the first time (again about 1 year after I bought it) I did not know if that would be covered by the warranty or not. I actually assumed that it would not be and was prepared to try to tackle it myself, thinking the company would just give an excuse like "we don't cover failures of elements due to hard water" under warranty.

So I investigated what I would need to do myself, what elements to buy, how to do the work etc etc etc (I never did this b4). Was talking to a friend about it who urged me to call the plumbing company and see if it was covered or not. So I did - and was extremely relieved to learn that they said of course it is covered, we'll take care of it no problem! And they did.

About a year later I had the same problem though. Called them again. They replaced the elements under warranty again. This time they even used "low density" elements which is something I mentioned to the tech the previous year which he had never heard of up until then (they are supposed to in theory last longer/better in hard water).

About another 1-2 years later had the same problem again (I may actually be misremembering and need to check my calendar to see, this either happened again for the 3rd time of this was the 2nd time, I 4get). Whether it was the 2nd time or the 3rd time the tech told me that his dispatcher said to tell me about water softeners and offer to install one for me - I think he quoted me a price of like $4000. I said no thanks, I can't afford that, just replace the elements, which he did.

At that point other than this being a pain in the butt for me having to get the elements replaced like every year I was OK with the situation, seemed like I was getting my money's worth after all. Even if the unit might have some design flaw and not work well with hard water, or the elements were just bad/failing too quickly regardless of the water quality, as long as they continued to do the right thing and fix it when it needed fixing I could live with it.

Then everything soured today, another year later. I cannot get enough hot water to take a regular shower again. I called them and they agreed to came out. Was given no indication that there was any issue with this on their end not being covered. No one told me, or called me to say "we will not do this anymore, that it is not part of the warranty etc". Instead I had to juggle around my day and rush back at the appointed time for the pumbing appt window, wait for the tech to come etc.

And when he got here that poor guy was then left to give me the bad news that "his dispatcher" told him he was not allowed to work on this again for free & that they had to charge me this time. I asked him how much and he told me it would be $500-something. I was in shock. Told him I was going to call the company the next day & demand to talk to the #1 man in charge (who I assume will just tell me to eff off but who knows).

IMO this is what a warranty is for - it doesn't work right through no fault of mine. They already told me as much and fixed this several times. How can they back out now? If they won't cover this situation for customers with hard water shouldn't they be up front about that and mention it when they came out for the first install? The tech tested the water and knew it was hard IIRC.

Also note that the first time this happened I told the tech that I was getting ready to try to do this myself because I was afraid that they would not cover this, and he asked me if I had taken anything apart, had I started to do anything myself etc (I had not) because if I did that would "void the warranty". Yet now they refuse to fix it (without what I see as a $500+ bend over bribe) and tell me to fix it on my own accord - which WOULD void the warranty they DO have in the first place!

What are my rights here??? Should they not even have fixed this in the first place if I follow their logic and were just doing me a favor out of the goodness of their heart? Shouldn't this be covered by their "warranty", one which of course spells out NOTHING at all as far as exclusions for service goes?

I am contemplating my options now - complaining to the BetterBusinessBureau, any consumer rights agencies, taking them to court, posting as many bad reviews about them as I can etc. Or am I in the wrong? Can companies pick/choose what they cover vs not without telling the consumer in the first place???? What is standard here??? What are my options?? I am really really frustrated. Afaiac if they will not continue to fix this when it has this problem then I want my $$$$ back and they can come & remove it!!! If not covered then what the heck IS covered? What if the problem this time isn't even an element??? Yet they won't even look at anything??? I just don't get it.....

I can only suggest becoming self reliant and learn all you can about maintaining the heater. It's clear you could benefit from yearly maintenance.
I replace my elements yearly. I have a small dedicated wet vac that is used to vacuum the sediment out through the lower element hole with a length of pliable auto heater hose. While the rods are out I inspect the anode rod and will be replacing it ... probably every few years on the heater I just installed. ( And I have to remove my pressure tank to get the anode rod replaced )
I would also suggest replacing the drain valve on the bottom of your tank to a full 3/4 ball valve ( $25. ) . Makes the draining and sediment removal much more efficient.
I have to tear apart a wall to get to my water heater and pressure tank so it simply takes about 4 hours ......... but it avoids surprises.
A water heater is under $400. .... element rods are under $20. a pair. ........ anode rod is under $20.
You can save a lot of money and aggravation becoming self-sufficient. The folks on this forum are an asset when you get stuck and there are tons of instruction videos on YouTube.
And just to mention ... my last heater was in for 14 years but I was never attentive to the anode rod like I should have been.

In regards to the "Plumbing Company" ... I would call it a day. ( Life is too short ) Your water conditions and your lack of maintenance is ruining your elements ( probably just the lower ) . They are not made to last forever in crappy conditions....... but they are simple to maintain with only the elements ... the thermostats and the anode rod being potential problems.

Attachments

• Drain valve.jpg
    Drain valve.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Correction to above.

This heater has had the elements replaced twice, not three times.

Prior to yesterday they have been out here three times, the first was when they removed the old leaking heater & replaced it with this one in May of 2017, the second about 1.5 years later in Feb 2018 when they replaced the failed elements (think it was the bottom one which failed but the top was working), and the third was in January of 2020 when the same thing happened again.

The conversation I had with the tech asking him about if he could use "high density" elements instead of regular ones since the water was so hard & that in theory they were supposed to last longer was in 2018 the first time he had come back (and he used those the next time he was here in Jan 2020 supposedly).

Last edited:
I can only suggest becoming self reliant and learn all you can about maintaining the heater. It's clear you could benefit from yearly maintenance.
I replace my elements yearly. I have a small dedicated wet vac that is used to vacuum the sediment out through the lower element hole with a length of pliable auto heater hose. While the rods are out I inspect the anode rod and will be replacing it ... probably every few years on the heater I just installed. I would also suggest replacing the drain valve on the bottom of your tank to a full 3/4 ball valve ( $25. ) . Makes the draining and sediment removal much more efficient.
I have to tear apart a wall to get to my water heater and pressure tank so it simply takes about 4 hours ......... but it avoids surprises.
A water heater is under $400. .... element rods are under $20. a pair. ........ anode rod is under $20.
You can save a lot of money and aggravation becoming self-sufficient. The folks on this forum are an asset when you get stuck and there are tons of instruction videos on YouTube.
And just to mention ... my last heater was in for 14 years but I was never attentive to the anode rod like I should have been.

Thx, good advice, I do try to learn how to fix things when I can etc (today I am repairing my washing machine that has a leaking "injector"); just got that part from a supplier via Fedex yesterday. Other than that the washer is still going strong after 28 years. And I have already had to fix my dryer 3 times myself.

I had intended on replacing the elements myself when they first failed on this heater in 2018 and was researching all of that when a friend told me - but isn't it under warranty? Why don't you just call that plumber and ask - which I did, and they said absolutely yes, this is covered in the warranty, and they came out and replaced the elements for me.

At that time I had a conversation with the tech about it and told him I was about to try to do it myself to which he made sure I had not done anything yet, and told me it was a good thing I had not, because that would have "voided the warranty".

Then the next time they failed that is when although he replaced them again he hummed and hawed and tried to sell me a water softener system for an inflated price of $4000.

So anyway, what I am saying with that regarding self repair, I still have a "warranty" (good through May of 2023) and that if I were to do any work on this myself I would VOID that. Meaning if anything wrong happens to it b4 then, starts leaking, the thermostats fail, anything at all, the plumber can get out of fixing ANYTHING....which is just not right....sigh...

So (1) I would prefer not to do ANY work on it myself since that voids the warranty, including any of the things you suggest, and (2) I am not an experienced certified plumber and anything I do do I could screw up, and (3) my free time is very limited anyway and to try to spend hours/days learning how to fix something that is under warranty and should be the responsibility of the vendor that sold it to me in the first place is not high on my priority list.

Just in response to your last paragraph ........... realize the warranty is really from the manufacturer and you can bet the Plumbing Company was back- charging them for your repairs and they paid out of "good will" ...... and my personal perception is it covers the tank itself i.e. leaking nipples and rust out etc.
When they replaced the lower element chances are they left the sediment in the tank ... just guessing..... and the new "buried" element would burn out soon.
I guess with your train of thought .......... plan on future surprises.

Hey just a quick update - I just called 2 other plumbers, ones I have used in the past (I did not use them for buying this current heater because at the time both were too busy to come out for a week or so and I could not wait that long when my other unit started leaking).

I went over this scenario with them. The 6 year warranty they give on new hot water heaters is all encompassing, regardless of the 6 year warranty from Bradford White. Both of them told me that they would keep coming back and replace the failed elements year after year, month after month, for free, until that 6 year warranty is up, and that according to them this firm is screwing me over.

I truly believe that this plumber (actually his boss/dispatcher who is telling him this) is just trying to get away with not honoring their own warranty and will be speaking the owner of the company as soon as I can....

Might be true.
You pay the "other" plumbers around $800 to put in a heater they pay $300. for and that takes them about an hour.
Then they come back yearly and exchange your burnt out lower element that they pay $7. for without even draining the tank ... maybe 15 minutes.
I suppose they can stay in business with that kind of margin........ especially if they can back-charge the manufacturer and they pay their normal rates. Usually the manufacturer's warranty is for 1 full year on everything and then limited to the tank & fittings for the other five.
Could be true ...... but I follow the rule... "Trust your mother and your dog".

When they replaced the lower element chances are they left the sediment in the tank ... just guessing..... and the new "buried" element would burn out soon.

Regarding that point. With my previous hot water heater which is when I first encountered this problem (for some reason the 1st one which lasted 12 years never had a problem with the hard water here), I researched this and learned that the tank should be flushed (not drained per se, but flushed which is a little different, you leave the the intake open and keep popping water out until what comes out has no more sediment in it) once a year so I started doing that.

With this new one, when the plumber came back and replaced the elements the first time (and the second) I asked him if I needed to flush it as well and he said no, that he did that (both times when he replaced the elements). So I haven't done that with this one (yet)....

If your bottom drain valve is a "compression valve" versus the ball valve I mentioned above ... any attempts to flush out the sediment would yield minimal results. The larger "chunks" will simply not pass through a gated valve.
I go back to Rule #7 = Trust your mother & your dog. ( Because I "doubt" they replaced both elements and also doubt they flushed the tank. )

Some history = I've cleaned our heater at least once per year for decades. Initially we did it every six months and would find the sediment & scale OVER the lower element. It would take an hour for the tank to drain through the compression valve ( 30 gal. heater ) and then at least 30 minutes to vacuum out the residual sediment from the bottom of the tank through the lower element entry hole.

Last edited:
What is the saying about continuing to do the same thing, but expecting a different outcome? Your water heater element concern is like someone having a well pump problem picking up sand and ruining the pump’s impeller. Rather than install a filler prior to the pump, let’s simply complain about the pump.

I apologize for the plumbers who don’t supply you with quality information. Many are simply installers and don’t understand how hard water affects not only the water heater’s elements, but water piping, faucets, commodes, ice maker, clothes washer or any thing that comes in contact with your water supply. This includes your home’s waste (sewer) piping.

I understand water softeners are expensive. But when you have limited skills and don’t think you can purchase and install an inline unit, then you will need to pay a professional to do it. I can’t believe I suggest you install anything! But, I’m tired of the wining of customers finding fault with everything but themselves. You have the internet to validate the concerns of hard water and DIY assistance to install some form of a water conditioner!

How much expense and time has your hard water cost you? What are the damages to your piping, fixtures and appliance? Don’t forget the added costs of detergents needed to offset the hard water. Is the hard water good for your health?

Everyone complains about the cost of water heaters. Few people realize that these rising costs are driven to a large degree by so called warranty. There are three main factors. 1.) Failed elements due to hard water. 2.) Problems related to DIYer installations. 3.) Little or not maintenance of the water heater.

And by the way, water quality is not improving. This applies to private wells and water supplied by municipalities. Look for someone else to blame, it’s not the water heater manufactures. Every manufacturer experiences the same concerns related to hard water and DIYers!

I have been in business for 30 years. Water heater comes with its own warranty, 6 years on tank, 1 year on parts. After 1 year period, homeowner is responsible for any repairs to heater excluding tank failure. Plumbing company generally warranties their labor for 90 days.

Like Burnet said only labor/work that plumber does would be warrantied. Certainly not that many years down the road. In my opinion they went over and above the first 3 or 4 times. They may have a deal worked out with the manufacture where they get compensated for replacing defective parts.

If a water heater bottom element was bad within its warranty of 6 years or whatever we would replace
the element and clean out any lime build-up in the bottom of the tank. Element is covered by the water
heater company. You would pay labor only. Unless you have in writing that the company that put the
water in will take care of any parts and labor for the life of the warranty of that water heater. We would
not have done that!!!!!.

A water heaters warranty is specific about what it covers. Any water heater I know of only warranties the parts on it for 1 year, elements,thermostats, gas valve,etc. The only thing that has the 6 or 8 year Warranty is the tank. Heater company's would go broke if they warranted the parts for that long.

Well, like I said above, 2 other plumbing companies have told me that if I had bought the heater from them they would be replacing the failed elements for free as long as the warranty had not expired, regardless of water quality.

And the company in question now has agreed to do just that, as they should IMO.

Thanks for the comments.

Just to give you an idea, where I live it’s pretty standard that company’s don’t honour labour costs in warranty items unless it’s within their own warranty period. For example if I sell you a 6 year warranty hot water heater my works man ship will be warrantied for 90 days. After that anything in the manufactures warranty will be supplied for free but there’s a charge for the labour.

Unless a manufacturer has their own plumbers I don’t see why a privately owned company would offer a 100% warranty. Good on them if they do, but that seems to be rare

A water heaters warranty is specific about what it covers. Any water heater I know of only warranties the parts on it for 1 year, elements,thermostats, gas valve,etc. The only thing that has the 6 or 8 year Warranty is the tank. Heater company's would go broke if they warranted the parts for that long.
Mr. Burnet have you ever installed a Bradford White water heater in your area? Your avatar doesn't state where you
live. About 3 weeks ago I just replaced a bad gas valve on one and the company sent it to our supply house. All it
cost the customer was the labor. The gas valve was covered under the warranty and the tank was a little over 3 years old.

Back