Is repair possible to the copper pipe in this picture?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony14

Reaction score
Kitchen being remodeled. Contractor's plumbers came first and ripped out the mess under the sink and reconfigured the piping leaving nice new stubs. They left the incoming hot and cold copper pipes, which arguably should have been replaced, particularly the left one, but, you know....

Electricians came next and ran various romex lines and placed a new outlet down and to the left. Dunno why all that had to be so near the piping but here we are.

As it turns out the plumbers have to come back to replace the left-hand pipe, which has corrosion at the tee on top and the 45 coupling on bottom--the top tee began seeping after they did their work.

Looking at the picture below, do you think the same guy who put the burn marks on the wall behind the pipes can replace the left-hand copper pipe without damaging the nearby wiring? Would it be safe for *anyone* to use a torch there? I am wondering it the wire insulation could get overheated even if the outside of the romex didn't show it in which case the electrical would pass inspection.

I am thinking these copper pipes should be replaced with PEX. Opinions?

1689113226822.png

You might need a complete repipe, hard to tell by looking at the outside of the pipe.

The wires are not too close to solder.

I personally would have used some sort of metal shield against the wall to prevent what happened...

A competent plumber should be able to work the T without damaging the romex insulation, mind you I said competent.

The electrical wires are for a dishwasher, garbage disposal, perhaps even for a hot water dispenser

As for copper vs PEX, I prefer copper primarily because rodents here in Hawaii just love gnawing through PEX.

Surface corrosion on pipe is typically just flux residue that oxidized.
The copper fittings and pipe are likely fine and not in need of replacement at all.

Back