Is my sewer pipe pvc?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detroit_fan

Reaction score
I live in a house built in 1977-78 in michigan and was wondering what material my sewer pipe is?

In my basement where the line enters, it is large diameter pvc, but does that mean it is pvc all the way to the street or could it change somewhere in between?

Thanks or any help

We could only assume. There is no sure way to determine what it is unless we see it.

I can only guess, but I'll go with PVC all the way to the main sewer connection. If so, this is a good thing. PVC resists roots from growing into the pipe since it has a smooth surface.

Last edited:
I was asking because I have a semi-large tree in my front yard already(where sewer line is), and wanted to plant another small ornamental tree, maybe 15-20 feet tall/wide.

The new tree would only be about 10 feet away from the sewer line and I thought if it was pvc I might try it, but if it wasn't I didn't know if I should risk getting roots in the line.

My sewer line comes through the front basement wall, about 18" off the floor

It would not Be Pvc, but a similar material called slimline or SDR which is a thinner walled pipe that the building sewer is made from, regardless of what is IS roots wll not penetrate plastic pipe

Actually, on a technical point, I would tend to disagree with Liquid. Most of the plastic sewer and drain pipe that I run into is in fact PVC, regardless of whether it is Schedule 40 DWV, SDR 35, SDR 3034, or what have you.

I do know that in some areas it is much more common to see ABS drain pipe than PVC Perhaps that is where the confusion lies?

Yes you are all correct in fact, I was VERY tired when i made the original post and was incorrect really. Pvc is in fact used here and I would have to ( now Not falling asleep as i type ) agree completely with phishfood. and others..

... appologys for failed advice, I should be able to properly answer such a basic question, regardless of my tired state.... :eek:

Back