Is my septic system "hosed"?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccarras

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping someone will hear my tale of woe and help me figure out what to do. If this is too long; here's the summary: I think the sellers of our new property lied to us and didn't disclose a broken 30-year-old septic system. Looking for suggestions about next steps.

We bought our cabin in the woods in West Virginia (US) in early May to use as a getaway +vacation rental. We paid a lot for it because of the market and because the seller showed us a spreadsheet that showed it was successful as an AirBnB. She mentioned "you might need to get the septic pumped; with the guests it seems to be filling up a lot! We keep finding sanitary napkins and wipes in it." Never having had septic, I assumed that was the issue.

The property disclosure listed no problems. I deferred a septic inspection on the 30-year-old system (1000 gallons for a 3 BR house, see attached) despite our agent's pleading to get one because the seller told us there were multiple cash offers and we really wanted it. HUGE lesson learned for me; I feel like a sucker.

One month later, it was overflowing at the tank. We just happened to notice it before there were problems in the house. I got it pumped and the pumping service told me it might be seriously broken but they weren't a repair service. They said they put a tape into the line and it stopped about 12 feet out. I later showed them the diagram of the system, and they said the tape might have stopped because it's a crossover system instead of a newer one. They suggested I dig down a bit where they left a huge rock and see if I see any tree roots squeezing the pipes.

Cut to yesterday-the septic tank is overflowing again. Drain field isn't showing obvious problems. It's not boggy. No dead grass or amazing grass. We had a running toilet for 1 week (maybe a bit more); when I replaced the warped and degrading flapper I saw rusted tank bolts and some sediment, but no other obvious issues. We did 1 load of laundry and took about 3 showers per weekend for 3 weekends; did the dishes about twice a day. There are still no backups into the house. The neighbors I spoke to mentioned that the sellers sold the house suddenly without telling them, even though they were employing the wife as a cleaner between guests. They also said they saw septic guys there a few times over the course of the last few months.

I dug down about a foot-18 inches where the septic pumping guys suggested and found mostly bone-dry, shale-based soil and a little dry dark gray soil that seemed really nice and fertile. I found a ton of tree roots. I couldn't dig down far enough to find anything that looked like a clear pipe. But then again, I have a bad back and am not that strong.

My guess is the sellers knew the system was failing and just didn't tell us. I'm trying to figure out the order of dealing with it - can you all suggest anything?
  1. See if I have any legal recourse - my guess is absolutely not because we deferred the septic inspection.
  2. See if I can get estimates from some repair services. The one I spoke to already wants $500 to come out and dig up enough to tell what's going on.
  3. See if I can find a service that has a camera to tell if there's just a tree root problem.
  4. Pray.
  5. Look into combining the two lots we own that are next to each other in case we have to dig a new system on the undeveloped 2nd lot.
  6. Figure out how long it will take to get a septic permit and repair the system or install a new system so we can budget.
Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions! I'm guessing we just shouldn't use the property until it's fixed.

Michelle

Attachments

• septic inspection.jpg
    septic inspection.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Septic system diagram.jpg
    Septic system diagram.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 6
The first thing you need to do is find out if the waste water can get out of the tank or not.

Sometimes it’s just the outlet is clogged.

If the outlet of the tank is free and clear then it could be the pipe between the tank and the distribution box if your system has a distribution box. It could be clogged.

If it’s the drain field failing then it’s most likely time to replace it and or relocate the drain field.
Drain fields can be repaired but it takes time and cooperation from the occupants to reduce water consumption and sometimes adding an aeration tank and pump. It may work it may not.

In my experience rental property with septic systems are a disaster waiting to happen.

The first thing you need to do is find out if the waste water can get out of the tank or not.

Sometimes it’s just the outlet is clogged.

If the outlet of the tank is free and clear then it could be the pipe between the tank and the distribution box if your system has a distribution box. It could be clogged.

Thanks so much for your response, Twowaxhack. Thankfully, I was able to find someone to come out with a camera on Friday to have a look, so hopefully they'll be able to diagnose it.

If it’s the drain field failing then it’s most likely time to replace it and or relocate the drain field.
Drain fields can be repaired but it takes time and cooperation from the occupants to reduce water consumption and sometimes adding an aeration tank and pump. It may work it may not.

In my experience rental property with septic systems are a disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah, I'm really hoping it's not the drain field!

I had no idea about the rental property + septic system drawbacks, and the family is really having to learn about water conservation--I can see where it will be really difficult to educate guests. We do have a lot of vacation rentals in this part of WVa, so somehow the owners must manage them. I'm definitely going to network with some other vacation property owners and see how they've dealt with things.

The sellers told me they were buying a bigger property in a nearby resort area, and I later found out this community has its own private wastewater system. I guess the sellers got tired of dealing with the septic.

Thanks so much for your response, Twowaxhack. Thankfully, I was able to find someone to come out with a camera on Friday to have a look, so hopefully they'll be able to diagnose it.

Yeah, I'm really hoping it's not the drain field!

I had no idea about the rental property + septic system drawbacks, and the family is really having to learn about water conservation--I can see where it will be really difficult to educate guests. We do have a lot of vacation rentals in this part of WVa, so somehow the owners must manage them. I'm definitely going to network with some other vacation property owners and see how they've dealt with things.

The sellers told me they were buying a bigger property in a nearby resort area, and I later found out this community has its own private wastewater system. I guess the sellers got tired of dealing with the septic.
There’s no good way to protect a septic tank from someone who doesn’t care.

You could install a filter on the septic tank outlet. This will protect the field from sludge being washed into the drain field.

It won’t protect the tank though. And it won’t stop too much water being used and the system being overloaded with water.

The tank can be easily vacuumed but the drain field can not. So the filter does offer a level of protection against sludge in the drain field.

Latest posts

Back