Is my current well system overkill?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Nichols

Reaction score
I'm looking at re-designing my current well system to 1) move all equipment from outdoors to garage and 2) to insert whole house filtering equipment. I would like to keep it as simple as possible. Our house is small, with only 2 adults - not any abnormal water usage.

I'm attaching a diagram of our current system. I kind of feel it's overkill (2 bladder tanks w/pressure switches and a very large water storage tank). Is this all really necessary or can I simplify it by removing some of the equipment when I move it indoors to garage?

I do appreciate anyone reading this and really appreciate any replies.

Attachments

• Current Well Design.pdf
    105.2 KB · Views: 8
Thanks Diehard! Sorry for delayed response. There are lots of ways to skin this cat. I prefer using a float switch for the well pump instead of a pressure tank/pressure switch using a solenoid valve. The 44 gallon tank on the booster pump only holds 10 gallons of water. With the booster pump cycling on/off for every 10 gallons used, the pressure in the house is continually going from 40 to 60 over and over. This not only makes shower pressure low, but the cycling destroys the pump, bladder tank, pressure switch, check valve, etc. Here is a drawing of a float switch controlled well pump and a CSV controlled booster pump. There is no pressure tank on the well pump and the booster pump only needs a 4.5 gallon size tank. So yes you can modernize this set up, save a lot of room, have better pressure in the house, and make the pump system last longer.
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

If you can't run a couple of wires between the well pump control and the float switch, you can still do the solenoid valve fill of the storage tank like this.
LOW YIELD WELL_and storage with two PK1A one pipe.jpg

Latest posts

Back