Is it time to fix, replace, or walk away?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbscott9891

Reaction score
Good Evening everybody, I just received my septic tank inspection for the property I am hopefully still going to purchase. The tank was placed in 1998 and it's a 1000 gallon concrete tank. The tank wasn't pumped like it was supposed to be (dealing with my realtor currently for dropping that ball). So the inside of the tank wasn't able to be inspected. What they did find has me feeling like I'm going to have to get this tank completely replaced. The house is located just east of Raleigh, NC.

Primary Chamber.PNG

Secondary Chamber.PNG

Distribution box.PNG

Distribution box 2.PNG

It's also noted that it looks like the drain lines have been driven over and part of the drain field is covered by the gravel drive way. I want this house it would be the perfect house and set up for me. The real question is, am I looking at a 20k replacement here or a 10k repair?

Also a little bit more info right now there four people living in the house 2 adults and 2 children I believe. If I do buy it I'll be the only one in the house, what's the average time between getting this tank pumped if just one person is in the household?

If it’s working with four people then you’ll probably be golden with just one person.

It needs to be cleaned up and a baffle tee installed on the inlet and outlet. I would suggest an outlet filter. They cost about 40-50 bucks

You could pour some new lids out of concrete and install new handles. Or you could patch the lids in place and patch them back water tight every time the lids are removed.

It might not ever need pumping with just one user.

It’s not good that the drain field is being compacted. Don’t drive over it. Do plant vegetation over the field.

Grade the field so that no water is standing after a rain.

You could always replace the distribution box or just repair it with concrete and rebar. You can build lids.

My system didn’t use a distribution box so I installed one. I used this one and it’s been installed for about 5 yrs now. Took me about 3 hrs to install it.

It needs to be perfectly level and plumb. And ideally it needs to stay that way.
I ordered flow levelers so I could control how much water goes to each field line, so you do have some adjustment.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p...7hd2-with-fittings-lid?variant=40377338167480

Or you could patch the lids in place and patch them back water tight every time the lids are removed.
Twowax : By coincidence I'm having my tank pumped this morning.
I've noticed the edges around my circular lid have deteriorated a little with open edges in spots.
What material(s) do you use to Patch them water tight ..... a silicone caulk ... a layover with 30# tar paper ?

Last edited:
Twowax : By coincidence I'm having my tank pumped this morning.
I've noticed the edges around my circular lid have deteriorated a little with open edges in spots.
What material(s) do you use to Patch them water tight ..... a silicone caulk ... a layover with 30# tar paper ?
I’ve patched them with water stop cement patch then laid some thick poly down over the access.

Tar paper would work I suppose if that’s what you have on hand.

Back