Is in-place shower drain pipe replacement possible?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm always impressed learning about the cool tools you guys wield (I wanted to be a plumber for some time), and so I'm wondering if there's a gadget these days to replace a 24" shower drain pipe without opening up any walls/ceilings.

I'm in an apartment and the drain extends (presumably) into the downstairs' neighbors ceiling (above their shower), since the trap is some 2' feet below my floor (our washroom ceilings are lower than the rest of the space). It's just a wooden frame building and I'm unsure how thick the floors are between units. Frustratingly, the shower and tub are a single fiberglass piece surrounded with tiles.

I was imagining maybe some routing tool to cut the pipe from the inside, just above the p-trap. Slap some glue on an adapter and new pipe, and slide 'er down. But maybe I'm just crazy.

What I can't imagine though is knocking on the downstairs neighbor's door and asking if they're okay ripping open their ceiling.

This relates to my other posting about the bad drain pipe in Strong odor from possibly corroded brass shower drain , hence my inquiry about how I'd go about replacing it)

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back