Is Drywall Compound an Acceptable Substitute for Mortar Mix for Under the Tub?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
I'm installing a drop in type acrylic tub that someone suggested using a (5) gal. container of drywall compound as an acceptable substitute for mortar mix........is this true?

I'm installing a drop in type acrylic tub that someone suggested using a (5) gal. container of drywall compound as an acceptable substitute for mortar mix........is this true?
Use self leveling concrete,
Drywall compound will crack and crumble.
That suggestion is like when I told my buddy the fluid was low on his light bar on his tow truck...

I use sand topping mix. It’s sand + cement and can be up to 2” thick.

I mix it on the wet side.

77E9D4C0-81C0-45D0-A4B1-A93EC5BCEC52.jpeg

I always do what Twowaxhack says. You definitely do not want to use drywall compound. That's absurd. With the labor and cost of ripping out an old tub/shower and then installing a new one, you need to use the best materials. You want strength, and a "solid" feel from the mortar bed. The strength of concrete type mortars is going to be exponentially greater than drywall compound. I cant' believe this post is real. And lastly, you want things to last as long as possible. My thought process is that when I do my own work on the house, I'm saving so much in labor that you can use the best materials and still come out ahead.

Some have used expanding foam to fill the cavity.You would have to frame out a wall around the plumbing so the foam does not cover it.

definitely not!!! what a stupid idea. Use self leveling concrete.

Thanks for the replies...........looks like the green top compound is not the way to go.

I use sand topping mix. It’s sand + cement and can be up to 2” thick.

I mix it on the wet side.

View attachment 44535
Looks like you used building paper on the subfloor before the sand topping mix. I have a self-leveling compound over the area where the tub sets.......would I still need to use the barrier between the floor and the self-leveling compound?

Looks like you used building paper on the subfloor before the sand topping mix. I have a self-leveling compound over the area where the tub sets.......would I still need to use the barrier between the floor and the self-leveling compound?
Naw, I just used tar paper because I was upstairs on a wood subfloor.

Would Quikrete Mortar Mix do the job also?
556b6f76-7228-4ce0-8ee2-fbd187e7f312

Back