Is Bleach really effective? How can it get past the water in the trap?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesAA

Reaction score
I've heard from people and read a few things online about putting a cup or 2 of bleach down the drain to eat away at all the gunk, then flushing with water some hours later. But how can the bleach ever get past the water in the trap?

Complete BS. Not a shred of truth. A waste of good bleach.

People who issue that type of information keep us in business!

If its something you are determined to do yourself, a good drain cleaning sulfuric acid will help clean things up if you have plastic pipe.

All acid will do is eat a small hole through the clog, and let the clog grow longer, which makes it take much longer for my snake to chew through, which makes me more money.

So pour that acid down the drain!

Negative.

Acid isnt always my first choice, but i have had lots of success with the right product.

If the entire length of the pipe is plugged, then no acid wont work for you, and sometimes even the trusty cable snake isnt enough. But for small grease clogs and spots where you cant maneuver a cable snake, you can get great results with acid treatment. Defiantly not something you want to do on a regular basis though, you will kill any good bacteria in your septic system.

Yeah Bleach is considered as a very effective and strong disinfectant, It is mainly used to kill bacteria and Fungus and it is known as an Active ingredient. Bleach is widely available at low prices. We can easily use bleach to unclog the water trap but maybe it will not keep the effect of it long time. but must take precautions while using bleach, Overuse of bleach or using a bleach solution that is too concentrated results in the production of toxic substances that pollute the environment and disturb ecological balance. Pay attention over it!!

Yeah Bleach is considered as a very effective and strong disinfectant, We can easily use bleach to unclog the water trap but maybe it will not keep the effect of it long time.

Please keep spreading it around that bleach is a good drain cleaner. I have a son going back to college this fall and I can use more drain cleaning jobs to help pay for it all.

Latest posts

Back