Is a 40 gal. big enough?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veidtmeister

Reaction score
Ok...try to make a long story short.
Current water heater is a 50 gal. AO smith, with a first hour rating of 58 gal.
I tried to cheap out, and found a brand new, unused water heater on craigslist. Its a Reliance 1212, which is made by AO smith, or so I was told.
Like an idiot, when I picked it up, I was in such a hurry, I didnt look at it closely at all, and although I was told it was a 50 gal. (thats why I didnt check it...well no...thats not true...I was just an idiot), I found out when I get home, its a 40 gal.....sigh...
It has dual 5500w elements, and its first hour rating almost matches the 50 gal. one, at 56 gal.

I wouldnt even worry about it too much, but my wife loves her big-butt Garden tub...and Im not sure if 40 gal. is gonna do it.
The house is a 3 bd., 2 1/2 bath, with washer dryer, and dishwasher. AND that big butt tub...lol....
There is just the two of us in the house though, as my son has moved out...so....Im wondering if that 40 gal. will do the job, or if I should try to sell it to someone else, and shell out a few more bucks for a new 50 gal..?

Oh....not in a super hurry, but the old one is leaking a little out the drain line, and my wifes getting annoyed... What'ya think?
Sure would like to save some green, but I dont want to pay to have it installed, only to find out Im not going to be happy with it, and then have to UNINSTALL it, buy a new water heater, and then have a USED water heater....that I have to unload.

I have roughly the same size home with a 40 gallon and have never not had enough hot water. Personally I think you will be fine but don't quote me on that.

I would think 2 gallons less than your old one wouldn't be that big of a deal if the old one was sufficient....
dunno.gif

Yeh,
Finally the old one really started leaking a lot, so my brother in law who works construction got me a plumber to come out for 65$ an hour... They took 4 hrs. to put the damn one in cuz they had to go buy another comealong to get it in the attic.... They're only gonna bill me $150 for the installation...so....I got a new water heater installed for $400 total...not bad I dont think.
Good news is...no noticeable drop in hot water....If anything the water is HOTTER...so....looks goot so far..!
Also installed a garbage disposal all by myself, which saved me cash....Im surprised the damn thing isn't leaking.
Thanks for your replies folks....
Im kinda handy-less, and have to learn as I go....:rolleyes:

i have been plumbing for many years if you had a 50 gal. heater than i would stay with that. if for some reason you have people over or your kids come back home 40 gallons may not be enough. you might possibly run out of hot water. also never buy a heater off craigslist. you can not repair an old heater. once it is done its done. always buy your heater new. on an a.o. smith heater the first four numbers on the serial number is the date of heater.

one more thing if your t and p valve is dripping you have a problem. this valve opens when the temp. or pressure gets to high so the tank does not blow up. alot of times this valve opens due to high pressure to the house. check the pressure to your house. if you install a new heater and the pressure is to high it will void the warranty. pressure to the house should be around 60-65psi. if the valve still leaks than you might need an expansion tank which mounts on the cold inlet. this is a pre charged bladder that absorbs thermal expansion.

Back