Irrigation with no backflow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhales0825

Reaction score
View media item 627
The previous homeowner installed a sprinkler system without a common above ground backflow preventor. 2014 home, sprinklers installed 2016, not sure how it passed code or an inspection when I bought it, but here we are.

The picture attached is the setup in the basement. I believe the valve on the right is the main water shut off. The valves to the left run to the sprinklers.

Anyone know if the sprinklers can be blown out with this setup?

View media item 627
The previous homeowner installed a sprinkler system without a common above ground backflow preventor. 2014 home, sprinklers installed 2016, not sure how it passed code or an inspection when I bought it, but here we are.

The picture attached is the setup in the basement. I believe the valve on the right is the main water shut off. The valves to the left run to the sprinklers.

Anyone know if the sprinklers can be blown out with this setup?
That branch on the left, with that closed yellow handle valve, could possibly be for an air connection.???
But in any case, hard to tell from picture what is going on right side. At the bottom of that vertical drop appears to be a sleeve of some type. What's that all about??
Is that vertical line connected directly to the horizontal with the hose connected to it?
And where is that hose going? To the sprinkler system. To a water supply? Or is the water supply from above?

at the very least you need a atmospheric vaccum breaker... its a testable device minimum 12 above the highest sprinkler head
Although the type that are typically used are testable, I don't believe they are required to be tested in Mass. and I would guess the same would apply elsewhere.
Not unless they made a change since I retired.:D

they almost never test the home owner....but there is a seasonal cycle that they test all businesses
Interesting! I was a certified tester but never tested anything. o_O
I thought it would be a good part time job after I retired, but decided I didn't need it.;)
The last Mass cross conn regs I looked at dated 2009 didn't require that it be tested.

i
Interesting! I was a certified tester but never tested anything. o_O
I thought it would be a good part time job after I retired, but decided I didn't need it.;)
The last Mass cross conn regs I looked at dated 2009 didn't require that it be tested.
tested and surveyed for a company called water protection services....it was an off shoot of fallon Williams in the 90s

i

tested and surveyed for a company called water protection services....it was an off shoot of fallon Williams in the 90s
I had a cross connection surveyor's certificate, as well. It's been so long I can't remember how I got it. I think it was through the New England Water Works Assc.:confused:

Did you ask the previous owner how he winterized the system? That open valve on the left looks like he might have intended it for an airline connection to blow the system out but that isn't an airline connection. What is outside the house?

As far as "inspections", there are no inspections for a sprinkler. And the pre-purchase inspection done by the buyer is voluntary and does not involve anyone "official". The inspector you hired should have written something down about the sprinkler so check their notes. Most home sales that have a sprinkler system the sprinkler is sold "as-is".

Michigan had started requiring residential testing i believe every 2 years and business every year. I am not sure if they are still enforcing as things change every political cycle.

I tested backflows for 15 years and never had a residential backflow to test. It was talked about it at the health dept
to start it but it was just talk. Like geofd suggested, he might want to put something in the line so nothing can get
back into his drinking water.

I tested backflows for 15 years and never had a residential backflow to test. It was talked about it at the health dept
to start it but it was just talk. Like geofd suggested, he might want to put something in the line so nothing can get
back into his drinking water.
Definitely!

The potable water supply connection to an irrigation system must be protected from contamination by installing an approved/listed backflow prevention device. Atmospheric vacuum breakers (AVB), a pressure vacuum breaker (PVB), a spill resistant pressure vacuum breaker (SVB) or a reduced pressure principle backflow preventer (RP) are acceptable assemblies.

If you want to blow down your system i suggest yo pipe it like this

6.5x552.JPG

The potable water supply connection to an irrigation system must be protected from contamination by installing an approved/listed backflow prevention device. Atmospheric vacuum breakers (AVB), a pressure vacuum breaker (PVB), a spill resistant pressure vacuum breaker (SVB) or a reduced pressure principle backflow preventer (RP) are acceptable assemblies.

If you want to blow down your system i suggest yo pipe it like this

View attachment 18683
So I assume #5 valve is to help in draining the backflow device to prevent freezing?

Back