Irrigation Supply Line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoopers

Reaction score
We are preparing the layout for irrigating a large vegetable garden (4,000+ sq. ft. planting beds) and two high tunnels. It is our plan to bring water from a creek (solar) into four 250 gallon tanks and distribute (under pressure with another pump) for both drip and overhead water distribution. The running length of the main supply line is 550 (est.) feet long on the west side of the garden area with a slight slope down to the east.

Here is my question: after leaving the pumping and storage area by the creek; would it be bad to use some (maybe 6-7 joints of 2" and 3" PVC pipe the I have no other need for in the main supply line? Would the storage advantage be negated by flow/pressure problems?

Thank you.

There should be no problem with oversizing water supply pipes that I can think of.

You want to use them because they are left over......???????or to do some other function????
Yes
We are preparing the layout for irrigating a large vegetable garden (4,000+ sq. ft. planting beds) and two high tunnels. It is our plan to bring water from a creek (solar) into four 250 gallon tanks and distribute (under pressure with another pump) for both drip and overhead water distribution. The running length of the main supply line is 550 (est.) feet long on the west side of the garden area with a slight slope down to the east.

Here is my question: after leaving the pumping and storage area by the creek; would it be bad to use some (maybe 6-7 joints of 2" and 3" PVC pipe the I have no other need for in the main supply line? Would the storage advantage be negated by flow/pressure problems?

Thank you.

Yes, they are still in the crawlspace as I decided not to put in a greywater system I was planning on doing.

Do you have a thought about using the larger diameter pipe regarding possible flow/pressure problems?

Thank you.

There should be no problem with oversizing water supply pipes that I can think of.

Thank you for the affirmation of my idea that was motivated by trying to save money. I realize that I will have some cost in fittings to adapt to poly pipe distribution lines.

Would you run 1" distribution lines while you are doing it?

Thank you.

What pressure are you going to run on the pressure side of your system ?

How many GPM will your pressure side be running through each distribution line ?

What pressure are you going to run on the pressure side of your system ?

How many GPM will your pressure side be running through each distribution line ?

Sorry for the later reply.

I was thinking of using a 1 HP irrigation pump that I have had and putting a pressure tank on it; so I guess pressure could be set at what would be best?

As far as GPM; I am really unsure how to correctly figure that. We have two high tunnels planning a total of about 960 running feet of drip tape (12 inch) and two open garden bed areas of 700 sq. ft. and 2100 sq. ft of planting beds (pathways and perimeters not included) that we are planning on using wobbler irrigation.

I would need the answers to my questions before I could help.

Latest posts

Back