Intermittent sewer smell?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmaggie

Reaction score
Hi All- hoping for some info/advice. I purchased a home about a year ago - we have not had any physical issues with the plumbing but every so often, there will be a strong sewer smell in the main floor half bath. That bathroom contains a toilet, sink and washing machine. It is typically first thing in the morning and goes away pretty quickly once we are up and using water/toilets etc. I can't really find any pattern to when this happens - other than it almost always being first thing in the morning and in that bathroom, it could happen twice a week or go months without a trace of the smell. I know very little about plumbing but we have not had any other issues that I am aware of. The sewer lines were scoped at inspection and they were clear.

Any ideas on what this could be would be most helpful, I glad to provide more detail if anyone can specify what info would be helpful!

Thank you.

Look under that sink and see if there's an Air Admittance Valve, or "Studor" vent whatever you wanna call it.

Latest posts

Back